-~ 1 ~-

_Jeongguk_

To most people new beginnings are exhilarating, magical even. They're supposed to be fun adventures and help blossom opportunities for those who are choosing a new path. As I sit in the back seat of my parents Subaru cramped with multiple cases of luggage and barely any leg space, I can't help but think otherwise.

Laying my hand just barely out the window's frame, I gaze at the passing buildings that only register as blurs of color, my fingers going numb from the cold air whisking between them. The sun shines directly on my face and somehow manages to ignore the rest of my body, leaving me to recover my hand from the window and use it to block out the incessant rays which cause a sheen layer of sweat to form along my forehead.

Although my eyes are closed, partially due to the sun blinding me, I am fully awake. The nervous butterflies that always seem to take hold of me lay restless; leaving my stomach to tickle. A shiver runs down my spine as it goes in and out however it pleases, ultimately leaving me nauseous. Lolling my head to the side, I finally escape the suns attention by laying my head sideways between the cradle of my arms; mounted atop my black suitcase with its surface to use as my pillow.

Hearing a shifting noise, I peak one eye open only to see my mother who has turned around to look at me from the passenger seat, a smile gracing her lips. "Aren't you excited sweetie? You're going to see the house for the first time today!" I only nod my head, returning to my dormant state from earlier, both eyes now closed. I breathe in deeply and hum in satisfaction as the butterflies seem to lie down for once. 

Today marks the first move since I was born. The last house I had stayed in consisted of my parents and my brother Junghyun, but he's left this year to study abroad in America. After my father was given a better job opportunity my family decided it best to move to Seoul where we would only be a half an hour away from my father's new work-site.

Now, I would be thankful for this if it weren't for the fact that I would have to leave my best friend since child-hood, Yugeom, and start off as the new-kid junior year. It's not fun trying to make friends and sit by yourself during lunch because everyone acts as if you're invisible. Even though I wasn't new at my old school I was still faced with the same routine. Sad, I know.

It probably had to do with my personality, I always wanted to be that friend. The one that's super outgoing and always knows how to fix an awkward situation, making anyone and everyone smile by just entering a room. But that wasn't the case for me, fate decided to completely flip the tables just to makes sure my wish wasn't granted; deeming me as the quiet one. Even if I try to speak to others it usually ends up in stuttered words and crippled sentences. It's like my body completely disconnects from my brain and begins to make its own decisions. The only time the two seemingly cooperate is when I'm with people I'm comfortable around, which is my parents, yugeom, and – no one else. Quite unfortunate, I know.

As the car comes to an abrupt stop I lift my head to see my parents exiting the car, my mother poking her head in before waving me to get out. "We've made it sweetie! Why don't you go take a look? Your room is on the third floor by itself, you can't miss it!"

Finally scooting my way out of the seat, I stretch among the side walk, a quiet yawn escaping unexpectedly. I look up to see quite a geometric house with white-washed walls and multiple windows scattered almost precisely as to complete the aesthetic. It's pretty plain from what I can tell but resembles much of my parents who are both minimalists. I begin walking up the stone path before my mom calls loudly from behind me, most likely alarming the whole neighborhood. "Don't forget to take your stuff with you!"

I huff before spinning on my heel and making my way back to the car, picking up my two suitcases and heading up the path once again. This time it's twice as hard, the wheels of my suitcases getting caught on each crack between the cement, not to mention fitting them through the tight doorway. Once making it inside - quite a time later might I add - my attention first goes to the beautiful wall of windows on my right which borders the living room; giving a full view of the street a few meters below us. Most of our furniture was moved three days ago and set up according to my mother's wishes so only our personal belongings were needed to be brought.

Surprisingly most of the décor is newly-bought, all white and matching perfectly with the kitchens black marble countertops. The living, dining, and kitchen space are all connected and quite open making the first floor quite spectacular for a home in Seoul, but I can't say I'm surprised when my parents live to fit the expectations of the wealthy.

Done with expecting, I stroll over to the stairway and up the first flight of steps. There lays a hallway with three bedrooms and one bathroom, most likely for a guest room and office. Although both floors are beautiful I'm really only excited to see the third floor, my hands become damp as I fear for the worst and my anxiety gets the best of me. I can easily imagine my parents giving me a creepy old attic as a room. After seeing my grades from geometry last year, I wouldn't doubt it.

Quickly, I rush up the stairs with my belongings in hand, my body now finally touching the third floor. There is only a small space atop the steps, separating me from a white oak door. Maybe I should count to three and pray that I get something decent. Squeezing my eyelids tightly I speak in slow, breathy whispers. 

"One."

"Two."

"Three!"

And with that I gently push the door forwards, my eyes fluttering open and a smile forming as I take in the space before me. The room is one of the largest I've seen with a fluffy, white carpet spanning to each edge, the texture soft against my socks. A queen size bed lays in the middle with a baby blue duvet and navy blanket lays perfectly symmetrical to its edge. To the left of the room is the most spectacular part, a three-foot wide window spanning from one wall to the other, shedding light across everything it touches.

As I step further into the room I notice a sliding closet opposite to my bed and a master bathroom complete with a tiled-glass shower and large vanity to my right. Although there is enough light seeping through the windows I try out the slide-operated switch, watching in fascination as the lights in the ceiling dim and brighten over and over again. The finishing piece to my room is a wooden desk to the left of my bed painted gray, contrasting beautifully to the white walls.

Walking to the bed I slowly glide my hand across the blanket, its soft material tickling my fingertips. A wave of tiredness suddenly takes over me, even as the numbers 4:30 displayed along the miniature square clock atop my desk grasps my vision. Slowly crawling into the bed and moving to a fetal position, I snuggle deep into the covers and multiple plump pillows, sleep soon overtaking me.