21- The Aftermath

Toni's POV

I'd seen my fair share of bodies in my life, but I'd never seen anything like this. Midge was pinned up by knives, like a gruesome circus act gone wrong, but the writing behind her in blood told us all we needed to know. The Black Hood was still alive. And he was coming after people. 

I jumped off the stage and seized Cheryl, pulling her backstage with me.

"Are you okay?" I asked, worriedly holding onto her. I pulled a small penknife out of my sock.

She looked at me in horror. "What are you doing?"

I looked at her like she was stupid. "Cheryl, the Black Hood is right here somewhere. Probably even backstage. I'm not letting anything happen to you."

I heard the backstage doors burst open, and a multitude of voices, including Kevin, Josie and Veronica come towards us. Hurriedly, I put the knife back in my sock. I didn't want anyone to see it and start questioning me. 

Sheriff Keller burst into the dressing room, Kevin hot on his heels. I held Cheryl close to me. I knew what was going through her head. That if she'd continued as Carrie, it could have been her hanging up behind the curtain. Even if we'd already discovered that the source of the threats had been Ethel, and the writing suggested the Black Hood had been after Midge anyway, it was eerily close to home. 

That evening, I went back to my trailer with Veronica and Betty. I'd hoped Cheryl would come, but she had the paperwork for her legal guardian to sort out, so I invited Betty and Veronica instead, feeling that I didn't want to be alone tonight.

They smiled when they came into my trailer. 

"It's really cosy," Veronica admitted, sitting on the sofa.

Betty nodded, agreeing. "It's way nicer than Jughead's. His is a proper boy's trailer. Smelly, dirty plates everywhere, and a massive murder mystery wall. Not that yours is exactly neat, but it's definitely a step up."

I made tea, bringing the three scalding hot cups to the living room. 

"I can't believe this," Veronica said, shaking her head. "This is going to kill Archie. And Midge...she'd never done anything to hurt anyone."

I nodded. "I don't even know who he's targeting anymore. He said sinners, but there's far worse sinners than Midge in this town."

"Depends what he sees as a sinner," Betty said, looking out of the window. "Midge slept with Fangs, right? So she cheated on Moose."

"Yeah, but teenagers cheating on each other is just something that happens everywhere," Veronica argued. "What about the real criminals?"

"There's no point in guessing around," I said, staring at the floor. "The sinners could be any of us. Who knows what his motivations are."

"Yeah. I mean, you're technically a sinner if he's a homophobe," Veronica told me.

"Great. That's really comforting," I said, chuckling a little.

"Betty, aren't you BFFs with him?" I joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. "Tell us who's next on his list."

She smiled, but looked nervous.

"Let's try and take our mind off it," Veronica suggested. 

"Let me guess, truth or dare?" I asked. Betty rolled her eyes.

"I was actually thinking I needed some relationship advice," she admitted. "Last time, the Black Hood nearly got between me and Archie."

"I can't help you on relationship advice," I admitted. "Just because I'm dating Cheryl, doesn't mean I know how I did it."

Veronica and Betty laughed. 

I realised something. "Guys, help. I think I'm in love with her."

"Congratulations," Betty said, sarcastically. "You're literally the last person to know."

"It's funny," Veronica said, "How literally three weeks ago Cheryl was saying she'd rather give up red lipstick than ever date a serpent, but now here we are."

I caught the glance Betty threw at her, and something dawned on me too.

"Wait a sec, three weeks ago is when we had the sleepover at Thistlehouse, and me and Cheryl nearly kissed," I told them.

Veronica realised she'd said something she shouldn't have, and furiously tried to backtrack. 

"Maybe it was longer ago. Or maybe she was just trying to hide that she liked you from us," she suggested, looking at Betty for help.

I shook my head. "I think I know what it is. I'll talk to her tomorrow morning."

Veronica bit her lip. "I'm sorry, Toni. I didn't think."

I shrugged. "Don't worry about it. I'd rather know and get it out in the open."

"I'm glad you found a way through to her," Betty said, steering the conversation back towards our relationship. "I've never in my life seen Cheryl Blossom smile the way she does around you, or look at anyone with those heart eyes. She's never been in a relationship before. I think she needs you as much as you need her."

She was right about me needing her, but I was pissed off about Veronica's comment. I'd probably end up in another fight with her about it, and that was the last thing I wanted. We had literally only become official earlier that day, and I didn't want it to be a fleeting relationship.

"So, what was Cheryl like before Jason died?" I asked Betty. "I've only known her a short while, and even Veronica hasn't known her that long. What was she like when she was younger?"

Betty smiled. "I never really talked to her. She was always loud, though. Making comments about everyone. Her insults always ranged from hilariously witty to outrageously offensive. Nobody was ever safe. Most people feared her, and I think that was always exactly what she wanted. To be feared. To have power."

I smiled. I recognised my girlfriend in this description of her younger years, but I still couldn't shake the anger inside me. I grabbed my phone and texted her, asking to meet her at Pop's for breakfast the next morning. She replied quickly, telling me that she wanted to talk to me about something too. I hoped she wouldn't confirm my suspicions.

We carried on chatting about Betty and Jughead, Archie and the Black Hood, and laughed about Veronica's wild stories from life before Riverdale. Just before I fell asleep, with both the girls on the bed with me, I tried to figure out what I was going to say to Cheryl the next morning.