02. Cardboard Box

08/04/18 - 1 year, 1 week, 1 day a/b (after breakup)

Knock knock.

That was a sound that I wasn't really used to hearing, and also the sound that woke me up. I was on my sofa, slightly dazed, laying down. Empty bottles of alcohol were on the coffee table, with small pools of alcohol alongside them. Brushing the hair out of my face, I got up and stumbled slightly towards the door.

"Alex?"

"George and I were cleaning out our flat and found these. Take them, they're yours," he almost shoved a large cardboard into my hands, which I firmly held and nodded.

"Thanks, Alex," I smiled slightly. This was the first interaction we'd had in months. I couldn't help but notice a little smile appeared on his face and he nodded slightly.

"No problem, Cas," he walked off, and I closed the door. For the first time in a while, I felt kinda happy. I just hoped this would be the first step back into friendship with him.

I sat back on the sofa and opened the box, to see loads of polaroids and memorabilia of me and the gang. There were even a few of my clothes in there that I hadn't seen in ages, as well as old, empty bottles of champagne that I had insisted on keeping because 'they're nice bottles, Alex'. I chuckled as I reminisced to myself.

I pulled out a black jumper and smelled it. Will. It was his jumper. My eyes were watering, thinking about all the times we cuddled together whilst he wore it. Getting up, I wiped my eyes and walked to my wardrobe. With a deep sigh, I threw it into the bottom of my wardrobe where I knew I wouldn't see it again. 

I heard another knock, about an hour later, which confused me again. Who would be knocking now? I didn't have any friends there. As I walked to the door, my mind was racing with who it could be. Was it some kind of burglar? Maybe my parents with a surprise visit? Could it even be Will, after all this time? No. That's fucking stupid, of course not. With anxiety filling my stomach, I slowly opened the door.

"Alex?" I was more confused than before. He had nothing in his arms or with him at all, so he wasn't delivering anything.

"George and I were wondering if you wanted to come over tonight...we could play Fifa or something?" he stuttered nervously, running his fingers through his hair. 

"Is this some kind of prank?" I asked, my anxiety getting the better of me. I trusted Alex - of course I did - but it was odd that, out of the blue, he had asked me to join him in Fifa.

"God no, Cas. I wouldn't do that to you. George and I want the chance to make the last year up to you," his face was pained, but he wasn't trying to make me feel guilty. I didn't feel guilty, anyway. 

"Okay, what time tonight then?" I asked, allowing myself to smile slightly. He smiled also, and stopped running his fingers through his hair.

"About 7?"

"Sounds good, see you then,"

"See you,"

I shut the door and leaned against it, beaming. I was getting my friends back. Even if they weren't the nicest in the last year, I understood why. 

For the first time in a year, I felt hope. I felt happiness. I felt at home.