Chapter 1

Tick.

Lina sighed, biting the end of her pen in boredom. This was grueling; the first week was always the hardest. It was the same situation, just a different classroom. She ignored the eyes boring into the back of her head and tried to focus on the lecture, but she'd read Romeo and Juliet enough times to loathe it. Shakespeare was, for all intents and purposes, praised for romanticizing rash decisions and suicide.

Tock.

Her fingers drummed against the desktop. She ached to turn around and look at the clock on the wall behind her, but that'd mean facing the curious and judgmental eyes. Lina typically sat in the back of the room, but it seemed as though the rest of the class had the same idea. So she sat in the first row with Mr. Edwards right in front of her, smelling like stale popcorn, and going on about roses and names and blah blah blah.

Tick.

What time was class supposed to end? She felt like the teacher hated everyone. Surely it took work to be this boring. Something hit her head, and her fist tightened. Ignore it. She breathed in and relaxed, her eyes studying the board without seeing a thing. It didn't take long for another paper ball to follow the first. She knew by experience that they held cruel notes, and she kept a straight face, as if nothing was happening.

"Psst." a few whispers snickered when the teacher had to leave the room. "Hey new girl, are you too good to look at us?"

"Too weird looking, is more like it." More laughs.

Lina bit her lip, her composure slipping up. She knew they were right; she was weird looking. People were always telling her she looked too perfect, like a barbie doll. She had curly auburn hair that seemed to darken whenever she was upset, and bright blue eyes that turned midnight blue occasionally. Her ivory skin didn't help ebb the jealous glares, but she'd give it all away in a blink of an eye just to have people like her. Not that she cared so much about being liked, but she cared about people immediately disliking her for such stupid reasons.

"I'm sorry," a familiar voice cut in to her reverie. "but when was the last time any of you had a good beating?"

She rolled her eyes. Sometimes her brother was too dramatic for his own good, but he was very protective of her and their brother, Caiden.

"That's not necessary, Adrian." She muttered. "They aren't even worth your breath."

His green eyes darkened. "I don't know, they're about to figure out how important their breath means to them if they don't shut up." He said this last part very pointedly.

If she were to look at him from an outsider's point of view, she could understand why Adrian would seem intimidating and scary. It was always a power struggle for him. Not in a bad way- Lina and Caiden were always keeping him in check. To others, he seemed like a good looking bully with a mouth, but she and her brother knew he thought it was his job to protect them. Right now, the whispers quieted and the menacing sneers toned down considerably. Adrian turned back around and winked at her, eliciting another eye roll.

"Why do you always do this, Adrian?" an exasperated Lina asked her brother after class. "Honestly, is this really the way to start another first day?"

He snorted, obviously miffed. "And what, Lina? You think the best way to start off is to let those pigs walk all over you? I mean, if that's what you like."

She groaned. "I love you, but it isn't your job to protect me every time somebody looks at me wrong. I can handle it!"

He stopped, causing Lina to nearly slam into him. He glared down at her. "Oh really? Because the last three schools we were at you were nothing but a depressing slug."