Chapter 18: Custody

Let me tell you why I love him

Cause he is the truth

Said he is so real, and I love the way

That he makes me feel

And if I am a reflection of him

Then I must be fly, cause his light

Shines so bright, I wouldn't lie (no)

I remember the very first day

That I saw him (saw him)

I found myself immediately intrigued

By him (intrigued by him)

It's almost like I knew this man

From another life (another life)

Like back then maybe I was his

Husband, Maybe he was my wife

And even the things I don't like

About him are fine with me

Cause it's not hard for me to

Understand him cause he's so much

Like me, and it's truly my pleasure

To share his company

And I know it's God's gift to breathe

The air he breathes

{The Truth- India Arie}

** Payton's POV**

So today's the court date that I've been dreading. I don't know how this is going to play out, but I'm praying it goes in my favor. I haven't seen Taylor, Tj, or my mom since the incident. My mom has been blowing up my phone though. She leaves me voicemails everyday telling me that Tay didn't deserve what I'd been putting her through, she raised me better than that, the devil is using me, I need to repent, etc. I just stopped listening to them after a while. She doesn't fucking know what she's talking about. She always made me feel less than growing up, it's when I came down from college one spring break pregnant that she decided to become mommy of the fucking year to MY daughter. She could miss me with that shit.

(Flashback)

I was standing in front of my driveway. I had just gotten dropped off from the airport. I was finally back in Miami after having the worst semester of my life. I found out I was pregnant by this hood nigga I met (through a friend of mines at the time) who's name was Jordan. At first it was just sex, I mean I was a 19 year old college girl who had no adult supervision and a boyfriend who was too focused on his upcoming finals to notice my existence, but I grew feelings for Jordan after a while. He made me feel like I was important to him and although he told me he wasn't looking for nothing serious I just couldn't help myself and kept fucking him in hopes of changing his mind. Three weeks later I was feeling ill so I made a trip to the clinic. Long story short the doctor told me I was two weeks pregnant.

At first I was like, "Damn I don't know what I'm going to do. My mom is going to kill me. Jordan said he didn't want any kids.. shit I don't want a kid". But I thought maybe if I told him he would warm up to the idea and he would be my meal ticket out my moms house (I mean I just wasn't cut out for college). So I met up with Jordan a couple days later and told him. He told me I was a quick fuck-and-duck that he had a couple times and was in no way ready to have a kid let alone a kid by a "bitch looking for a come-up". With that said he gave me $300 to get an abortion and left. I had to come up with a plan B so after Tj took his finals that Friday, I had sex with him every chance I could for that whole week. I bust into Tj room 2 weeks after that, crying to him I was pregnant . He, of course, accused me of being promiscuous which I sort of was, but I think sleeping with him for that whole week had him convinced he had indeed impregnated me, so he eventually accepted the fact.