Introduction

In late 19th century, a new doctor in town develops a keen interest in the case of a self-indulgent artist who lost his childhood memories under mysterious circumstances. When interference from a figure from the artist’s past brings his memory back, the town officials turn against both the doctor and his patient.

The story was imagined as a motion picture, hence it's written in a screenplay format. The format has a very specific structure, so I've described it's elements in detail below. In a word processor or a printed page, the screenplay looks a lot different than how it appears as a WP draft. Where I felt necessary, I pointed out for each screenplay element the differences between WP and printed formats.

Review Expectations

Unless they are familiar with this format, I do not expect my readers to critically review the formatting accuracy. I have left the descriptions below for sake of interest and reference.

If you treat the text as a story written in present tense with dialogue presented in the style similar to that of a play, you will be mostly fine. I only expect critiques in the same manner you treat any regular story here.

It will also help to imagine the whole thing as a movie and to give suggestions accordingly :)

Also, be very strict language-wise. If I have slipped in any modern phrases or British constructions or any anomalies, really, please do catch! Thanks :)

-

The Screenplay Format

Credit for the descriptions below: www.screenwriting.info

A screenplay is the script of a film, including acting instructions and scene directions.

In print form, it's typed in Courier font 12 point as a rule.

Elements of a screenplay:

Scene Heading (slugline)
- Indicates where the scene takes place.
- Written in ALL CAPS.
- Aligned left.
- Uses INT. for indoor scenes; EXT. for outdoor scenes.
- Followed by location name.
- There may or may not be a time of day.
- It may have additional shot info.

E.g.
INT. LIVING ROOM - WAYNE MANOR - DUSK - ESTABLISHING SHOT

or

EXT. AMAZON JUNGLE - NOON - STOCK FOOTAGE

Action (screen directions)
- The ACTION or Description sets the scene, describes the setting, and allows you to introduce your characters and set the stage for your story.
- Always written in real time (present tense).
- When you introduce a speaking character for the first time, you should put the name in all caps.
- Aligned to left margin, text width full page (within margins: 1.5" from page border in word processors).
- It's customary to highlight an important image or object here by putting it in all caps.

Character Name
- All caps. Central alignment in WP. 3.5" from left margin in word processor.
- It comes before every time dialogue is to be spoken by a character.
- It can be an actual character (BRUCE WAYNE), a description (OLD WOMAN, STUDENT #2), or an occupation (TEACHER).
- If this person will not be in the shot when the lines that follow are spoken, add (O.S.) for off screen.
- If this person is narrating the lines that follow, add (V.O.) for voice over.

Dialogue
- In WP: central alignment.
- In processor/print: 2.5" from the left. 30-35 spaces long; so 2.0-2.5" from the right.
- Words spoken by characters/narrators on/off screen.

Parenthetical
- Same formatting as character name.
- Brief descriptor, in parentheses, of how the dialogue will be spoken by the character, attitude or action while speaking.
- Always appears between Character name and dialogue.
- If only a part of the dialogue will be modified with the parenthetical, it's ok to insert this element at the point in the dialogue where it applies.
- Example:

ALFRED
Sleeping late, Bruce?
(Draws the curtains apart)
Guess, who's coming to visit today?

Transitions
- Old-fashioned and infrequently used. To be applied only when absolutely necessary.
- Formatted same as sluglines.
- Placed before Scene Heading and after Action.
- Some examples:

FADE TO
FADE OUT
SMASH CUT
MATCH CUT
DISSOLVE TO

___

There may be more elements that are used less often. Where they appear in this script, they will be noted unless self-explanatory.