The Narcissus Page 3

The following is a long scene depicting the ball. Shots move upstairs, downstairs, and out on a balcony.

Its 2500+ words. It wouldn't make sense, however, to divide it into parts, so I haven't.

Scene 5

EXT./INT. “BUGSBY BANQUET HALL” - DAY  

TWO UNIFORMED DOORMEN open two magnificent door panels. It’s the main entrance to the “Bugsby Banquet Hall”. A large hall arranged for a banquet comes in view with a happy and gregarious CROWD in fashionable ballroom getups.

ANNOUNCING DOORMAN
(indoors)
Mayor Willem Gladstone!

MAYOR WILLEM GLADSTONE enters in a graceful dinner suit and is immediately greeted by MANY GUESTS.

The Announcing Doorman continues to announce the rest of the TOWN DIGNITARIES as they arrive, some of them in decorative uniforms.

ANNOUNCING DOORMAN
His Honor Judge Farrell Brimsby!
(beat)
Major “Duke” Carlyle!
(beat)
Nathaniel Dashbury!

The personages are greeted duly by the hosts of the party, Mr. and Mrs. LINKLATER, both 60, and their son JUILLIARD LINKLATER, 35.

Charles Maurice enters unannounced and examines the room, greeting some of the GUESTS who notice him.

There are four large dining tables being set by the SERVERS. TWO HUGE CHANDELIERS hang from the ceiling. The POLKA is playing. SOME COUPLES dance in the distant b.g.

A broad gallery runs around the whole hall and forms the upper level. Staircases ascend on each side of the hall. Charles takes to the stairs and spots a YOUNG LADY, 28, keenly staring at him. He smiles and nods.

The spacious upper galleries have similar table arrangements. The decor is LESSER but by no means cheap. The UPPER CROWD has respectable people, affable, grateful to be invited. They are less polished or high-minded and LESS EXPENSIVELY CLOTHED.

Three plain men, JORDAN, 38, BILLY, 30, and the bored-looking NORMAN, 35, are seated at a lower table. They wave at Charles who goes over and grabs a seat.

BILLY
Hey Charlie! Over here!

CHARLES
Don’t call me ‘Charlie’! Hey Norm, I’ve been looking for you everywhere and you are hiding in plain sight!

NORMAN
These punks betted on the issue of my attending today. Jordan had more to loose so I sided with Billy.

BILLY
He ain’t even coughed it up yet!

JORDAN
Be patient.

CHARLES
Don’t go to sleep until he does.

INT. LOWER LEVEL - NIGHT

Dr. Peter and Eleanor Robinson, tastefully dressed, enter unannounced. DR. BARTON RIGSBY, 65, bulky and balding, greets them.

RIGSBY
Peter. Eleanor. Meet Marshall Richard Jones and Surgeon Rutherford.

MARSHALL RICHARD JONES, 50, and SURGEON RUTHERFORD, 55 greet the Robinsons. Marshall is a whiskered and moustached man in a decorative uniform with a badge. Surgeon Rutherford greets the Robinsons with both anticipation and skepticism.

INT. UPPER LEVEL - NIGHT

NORMAN
The dreamy man is faced with a tough choice between his present and the future. That should be sufficient for you.