The Journey to Draconian's Peake

This is a brand new story that I've been collaborating with all summer with Nitrousyaoi! I hope you enjoy! 

A heavy envelope that was sealed with a wax royal insignia was handed to the young prince as he stood before his older brother. Malik had his back to his youngest brother, hands clasped at the small of his back as he stared into the flames of the roaring fire within the grand banquet hall. "You understand what is expected of you?" he asked in a gruff tone. The young prince jumped as his brother's deep voice suddenly filled the silent room. "Y...yes," Caspian stuttered out, "I mean....yes your majesty," he said in a stronger tone. "Good. The entire kingdom of Enkira is depending on you, boy," Malik turned to finally face his brother who was so much smaller in stature.

Seventeen years separated the boys in age...Malik being the oldest brother and Caspian the youngest. The prior king and queen had borne four strong sons...and Caspian was the fifth and last, a surprise for the Queen near her fortieth birthday. All his elder brothers had since been married off and given royal titles. He was the only prince that still lived within the king's castle. Mother and father had died three years prior, leaving the kingdom in the hands of Malik....a young and war hungry king. However, the neighboring kingdoms had taken advantage of his inexperience at ruling...Malik certainly knew his way around the battlefield, but keeping thousands of miles of borders safe AND maintaining an army – he blundered at terribly. Coastal and outlying villages had been raided and the neighboring enemies were becoming more brazen in their attacks – slowly but surely moving inland, conquering more territory and making their way towards the capital of Enkira.

The only way to suppress all such resistance was to find an extremely powerful ally. The only kingdom that had yet to invade him, surprisingly so, was the ancient kingdom of Draconian's Peake. The prior king, an ancient and scarred warlord, had outlived his only two sons and finally died just fifteen months prior at the age of ninety-seven.

With the throne left open for grabs, it was immediately overtaken by the fearsome General Lucian Nightwalker. No one had dared oppose his succession to the throne and he had ruled the kingdom very prosperously over the last year and a half. However, he had yet to find himself a wife. Most kingdoms intermarried their families to create strong alliances. Unfortunately, Malik did not possess a blossoming young princess to present to Lucian on a platter. Instead he was putting his faith in Caspian to enchant the warlord enough to gain favor.

The young prince had just turned sixteen and was as lovely to behold as any female. Golden blonde and wavy hair sat atop his head and piercing green eyes, the color of summer fields, twinkled with life and immense intelligence. Standing only at 5'6, he hoped to keep growing into his young adulthood, but it didn't seem to be occurring any time soon. His flawless pale flesh was not marred with scars of the battlefield or a hard-laborious life...the boy had been pampered and educated since youth. Therefore, Caspian was confident in his attempt to act as a negotiator between his kingdom of Enkira and Draconian's Peake.

"I won't disappoint you broth....your majesty. I will return with a signed document, pledging King Lucian's loyalty to our cause and kingdom. I shouldn't be gone any longer than three months...praying that the winter weather holds off until then," Caspian naively stated with a smile and bow.

"Yes...three months shall be plenty of time for you to complete your mission. Good luck," Malik firmly patted him on the back and watched with a maniacal smirk as Caspian walked away without a clue as to what was going to happen to him.

--------------------------

The travel to Draconian's Peake was lovely for the young prince who had grown up surrounded by such dark, dense forests and heavy rain. King Lucian's kingdom was beautiful to behold...ethereal and enchanting. Glass castles that appeared to be floating upon wispy clouds, endless blue skies and lush greenery, dotted with bright flora and fauna. Upon his arrival, he was immediately docked at the king's own castle which towered over all the rest. Covered with endless marble statues, terraces and balustrades...it looked like the castle of the gods! It was breathtaking...and yet was deceitful to who and what was hidden within its walls. Caspian straightened his shoulders and followed two guards who escorted him from the docks and to the king who awaited within.