He who remains 27

On his last day, the family said that he was driving fast on the highway, heading to a gathering with the friends he loved. The police fretted that his body was unrecognizable as the speed was too great. He was stashed behind a semi-truck. Death was instant.

He left, at 27...leaving behind a lover, with an unfinished wedding gown. There had been talks about the next Spring when they would bring their love, their belongings, and their dreams to a build a home near the beach, with their expected child. It was early November. She was sad, crying as if it would forever last. She lost him now. But as she sobbed, the baby in her womb throbbed. Its heart was in pain. So, she stopped, caressing the protruding stomach to pacify her forming child.

He left, at 27...leaving behind all the dreams he had, mostly unfinished, and all the promises he made, when lucid or drowsy. He was hoping to get a promotion when the company would re-evaluate its personnel for this year-end event 's awarding ceremony. A raise would help, with his new family. He talked about wanting to take a cross-country road trip on this furious motorcycle, before settling down to become a devoted husband and dad.

He left, at 27...leaving behind a poor mother who gets choked in tears every morning when she wakes up at dawn. Her pride child, once was so handsome, so lively but now...buried deep under meters of red basalt. The remnants of his motorbike lie undisturbed in a corner of the backyard, just waiting to evoke more pain and tears...ripping her soul apart.

He left, at 27... such a beautiful age! Just two weeks before the fated day, he and I "spoke"...of the future and of our friendship. So, when the news hit, I literally broke...our pact unfulfilled. It's been 4 years. Our promised drinks will never be washed. I visited his grave a couple of years back, poured him a glass of strong rice liquor scent I brought, and took a sip in quietude. Our friendship was a great gift. It taught me to savor life. Now that he has gone far and high, I am reminded that life is precious...yet ephemeral. So I will live double, for me and for him...who forever remains 27.

-----------

- Mommy! Mommy! I want to know why some people have to die despite their desire to live? Yet, some choose to cut short their lives?

- Life, at its essence, is given, my love, regardless of its shape and form. Some happen to get many days. Some allotted less, by designed. And those who leave it half-way were defeated in its midst of chaos and turmoils. Like how I gave you life. But to survive, you must learn to gather your strength and move past blockades...or else you won't last. Humans, my love, are governed by the mind, an immensely powerful quiddity lies within their own flesh. Once strong enough, it sometimes cures a sick person. But if weakened, no doctors nor pills can move them forward. So, unless placed in dire circumstances genuinely out of control, a person's mind speaks hopes which create strength which fuels the desire to live. Hence, my love, I also wish for you to possess a durable mind so you can strive from this day onward. Cherish your life!