vi.

The dark red beads decorating the sweetheart neckline of Veronica's maroon skater dress sparkled with each movement under the semi-bright lighting of the restaurant. Her hair was pulled into its infamous ponytail, her invisible crown resting on the small bump made to stay in place with a copious usage of hairspray.

As she sat across from her college boyfriend, Spence, she made sure to laugh at his story at the right moments, her fuschia lipstick painted mouth spreading into a wide smile at each joke. Veronica had even, at one point, put her hand on the table as she laughed and had grown immensely pleased when Spence placed his hand over hers just as he finished his story.

"Your friend sounds like he has a bad temper," Veronica giggled.

"He does. That's why we're not friends anymore. I can't force myself to be surrounded by people who get so caught up in the materialism of this free world," Spence scoffed. "I mean, if the roles were flipped and I let him borrow my car and he returned it with a dent and a few scratches, would I be mad? Of course not. Why? Because he is my friend. It's not like he can't get it fixed, anyhow."

Veronica nodded, keeping her eyes on the older boy in front of her. "That is so true." It wasn't. Veronica thought he should pay for the damages, but she was too infatuated with Spence to listen to her conscience.

"'People are like dirt. They can either nourish you and help you grow as a person, or they can stunt your growth and make you wilt and die.'" Spence was speaking in that voice again, that voice that told Veronica he was quoting something.

She stared at him, trying to find the words to say next. "I- I don't think I know that one," she said with a nervous giggle.

A look of disappointment crossed Spence's face. "It's Plato, babe," he said as he withdrew his hand from hers.

Veronica felt her face become hot as she tried to make up for her slip up. "Of course it was. You quote him all the time."

"But you never know I'm quoting him," Spence sighed, taking his previous attentiveness off of Veronica and now directing most of it toward his plate.

"We don't really cover that stuff in my English class," Veronica said quickly.

Spence shoved a forkful of green beans in his mouth, shrugging. "I honestly wouldn't expect you to know. I sometimes forget you're still just a high school kid."

"High school senior and I'm turning eighteen in a few months," Veronica corrected, feeling even more embarrassed.

"Whatever," Spence replied with another shrug, barely even looking up at her.

Veronica didn't like it when Spence did this. One moment she felt blushy and embarrassed in a good way under his gaze and the next, she was blushy and embarrassed but it was because she was humiliated that she didn't know a stupid Plato quote and her boyfriend wouldn't even look at her because of it.

"I was actually thinking of going to the library and doing a little extra studying so I can better understand Plato and stuff," Veronica laughed tensely. Spence still didn't look up at her. "I just want to be smart like you, you know? You're so insightful and intelligent, that's what I love about you."

Spence looked up then with a smile on his face. Veronica knew he loved it when she coddled him and showered him with compliments.

"I love that about me too," Spence chuckled. "Oh, did I tell you about the time I corrected my philosophy professor?"

Veronica put her elbow on the table and leaned her chin in her hand, giving Spence her complete attention with a content grin on her lips. "No, what happened?" She asked, absolutely thrilled Spence was speaking with her again. They were going to be okay. They had to be.

vierra content is coming up also sorry i don't reply to comments, i'm not only lazy but busy too so sad yeehaw but i appreciate u all pls remember that ily

-bee🐝