◇4◇

Slightly troubled by Herobrine's words, Steve still rode straight back to the academy that he had lived in for the nearly a decade. Just when he reached the entrance, Sordul, or Notch, was waiting for him.

  "Good to see you, Steve," Notch said, smiling warmly through his Sordul disguise," You arrived earlier than I expected."

  "I got lucky, I guess," Steve shrugged and dismounted, then brought a tightly bound Herobrine before Notch as well," Here you go."

  Herobrine was definitely blind at that point, but he glared viciously at Notch through those ruined eyes of his.

  Notch's smile thinned a little when he saw Herobrine, then patted Steve on his shoulder," Go treat yourself to the most glorious feast you have ever had in the dining hall. You have earned it. I will be with you shortly."

  Steve nodded, secretly eager to have some real rest at last, at the place he had called home for years. Notch pulled Herobrine along, who snarled quietly when Notch's hand made contact with him, but remained completely silent otherwise, as the two disappeared into the thin air.

  True to his word, Notch joined him when he was just started with his meal. Noticing that the dining hall was empty, Steve frowned," Where are the others?"

  "I sent them back home," Notch said easily, "I told them they had completed their training, and they could finally leave."

  "Right," Steve said, and went back to attacking his steak.

  They said nothing for a while, before Steve opened his mouth to ask again," Sir, why did I get to hunt Herobrine?"

  "Because you did good in the race," Notch said, chewing on an apple," I just knew you would be able to hunt him."

  "I did good?" Steve questioned," I couldn't even save Alvin. I got wounded by a zombie, how is that even good?"

  "Steve," Notch sighed," I look beyond the physical. I know you are the only one who can have the courage, the guts to face Herobrine. You have a heart of gold, Steve. That is what I find admirable."

  "You don't know that from the race."

  Notch raised an eyebrow, that very expression made Steve gulp,"At least, you don't, right?"

  "I do," Notch said," I just do."

  "Then what are you going to do with him?" Steve asked, his suspicious rising to the surface, to see if Notch really said what Herobrine did.

  "I am going to make sure he never does anything evil again," Notch smiled.

  "How?" Steve asked.

  Notch chuckled, and ruffled Steve's hair," It's best not for you to know."

  "Then what happened to the both of you in the first place?" Steve asked, his curious nature prompting him to know what Herobrine refused to answer.

  Notch looked up to the ceiling, as if thinking of how to answer his curious student," It is not a pretty story."

  "Tell me anyway."

  Notch looked at him,"As you wish, then."

  He took a deep breath, and begun," A long, long time ago, the world was a savage, fiery place. Filled with hellish beings. And those who ruled them, were an ancient race called Brines.

  "They were savage, merciless, and powerful. No one was actually sure of the limits of their power, or exactly how strong they were. But they were power hungry, and fought amongst themselves for the position of their leader, until the strongest of them was born.