Chapter 21: "I think you'll find our will equal to yours."

Now Playing: Shakedown: The Score

All those nights alone

I faced my fears in the mirror

I found my way to show

Who I am, won't disappear

The plan they came up with was simple, effective: Stephen would confront Thanos alone until he gave the signal. Then the rest of them, in hiding, would ambush the titan. It was Tony who thought up the brilliant addition to drop a meteor on him, and Iris couldn't find a reason argue.

So that's where they headed. Stephen sat along in the rumble of some abandoned building, and the rest of them hid in the shadows. Iris flew up behind Tony, who'd already found their rock, and was crouched on top, waiting to strike.

"Took your time, smooching your boyfriend?" Stark's voice crackled in her ear, and Iris rolled her eyes, landing next to him.

"Creeper, what were you doing, spying on me?"

"It's for your own safety, Supergirl."

"Stranger Danger." Tony chuckled and crept over the edge of the meteor, floating in the air. Apparently, planets position was so off (Titan? She thought she heard Tony mention the name somewhere) was so messed up, the gravitational pull was all over the place. Thus allowing gigantic rocks like the one she stood on to float in midair.

Peering over the edge with Tony at her side, Iris caught a glips of Stephen, sitting alone in the rubble. "Is he even going to show? What if he just doesn't come?" Iris worried. 

"He'll show," Tony replied with confidence, still spying on Stephen. Iris looked around for the others, straining her eyes. There was Quill, squished between a literal rock and hard place. Peter, bug eyes glowing, watched from above. He waved to them and Tony made a hand signal that IRis interpreted as 'Sit your ass down and stop drawing attention to yourself.'

From her angle, she couldn't see the other three. Iris couldn't decide if that was a good or bad thing.

Out of what seemed like nowhere, a blue and grey cloud erupted in the air. Iris froze and she felt Tony next to her do the same.

And out of that cloud, portal, whatever, walked Thanos. At least, she thought it was.

To confirm her suspicions, Stark's muscles next to her coiled. Iris placed a hand carefully on his back. "That's him, isn't it?" He nodded grimly. "He looks, eh, more purple-er than I expected." That one almost made Tony smile.

"You're just as bad as Peter."

"At least I don't make pop-culture references every two seconds."

"Shut up and watch, Supergirl. Do your job."

"I am!"

"Do it quieter." Iris rolled her eye inside the helmet and bent down next to Tony.

From this elevation, she couldn't hear much or see distinct details. But she could make out Thanos walking towards Stephen, Iris assumed he was beginning a conversation with him and strained to hear it.

"-ake it that Maw is dead? This day extracts a heavy toll. Still, he accomplished his mission." Maw? Who the hell was Maw? Iris turned to ask Stark but was stopped by his hand as he held it in front of her face.

"-beautiful. Titan was like most planets, too many mouths, not enough to go around. And when we faced extinction, I offered a solution." A red glow emanated from the gauntlet Thanos wore, but Iris didn't see what it did. Stephen seemed to because his head turned this way and that before back to the titan.