Man, Beast and Burden

"The progress of rivers to the ocean is not so rapid as that of man to error" -Voltaire

     Eria sighed as she peeked through her bedroom window, the weight of her emotions on her breath fogging the glass as thoughts fogged her mind. Last night, the princess of a neighboring kingdom had come to visit the country, and everyone was in bustles trying to become the most favourable gift-giver to the princess. They all wanted her favour as the future queen, and wanted to become wealthy and powerful.

     Eria had no such future, and no such desire for it. All she desired was a place to call her own; she wanted somewhere to truly belong.

     Eria lived in a town where outsiders were outcastes, and used for the work the prominent members of society wouldn't care to trouble themselves with. To be prominent, you either had to be powerful, wealthy, or have lived in the town for over 3 generations. She and her parents were born in Draconox; her grandparents came only years before Eria's mother was born. She was an outsider.

     Eria gathered her plain white chiton skirts and trudged through the door, her cloak heavy on her back. As heavy as the gazes and whispers, rumors riddled upon the lips of those who saw her. She was not only outcasted for her heritage, but herself.

     In a world where blonde, red and auburn hair was the norm of beauty, and on several heads, she was a stark difference. Her raven hair hung to her hips, long and tousled, as her brown eyes were a spark contrast to their blue, green, grey, or hazel eyes. Her skin was not the pale cream of those near her but a golden bronze that was complimented only by the sun. She was the infamous outlier, Eria the strange one. She was the greatest outcast, colored like earth while others looked like saintly statues. Eria sighed, pulling her hood over her as she left towards the castle.

     The day went by as always; her being yelled at, her superiors glaring and telling her to hurry, the higher ranks sneering at the sight of her, the men shuddering in disgust as they passed her by, catching sight of the outcast. Finally, that morning she had instructions to get flowers from the valley. Without thinking, Eria donned her cloak and left to the valley.

      The valley was one of the most beautiful things in the small world Eria had experienced. The valley was shallow, but stretched vastly about a hectare in each direction. The valley had several kinds of roses and lilies, all of them smelling like the perfume of the gods. The sweet aroma was only complimented with the sweetgrass and herbs that grew in the deeper parts. Eria was blessed to live near it, but cursed to know it so well that the others would take advantage of her. Sighing, Eria slid down, her dress and cloak tearing, as she tumbled to get the princess's flowers.

     Eria picked a few flowers from the valley, for once not being bothered. The valley was home to farmers on the other side of Draconox, who were farmers that took advantage of the rich soil. Usually they would joke about her, and make bets that the ancient dragon would eat her.

     Indeed, there were legends about a dragon up in the mountains. It was a story her grandfather told her often as a child; he told her of a magnificent dragon who lived at the top of the mountain and guarded a hoard of stolen treasures from the kings before, and claimed the lives of several knights. He spoke of how the good people pay tribute to the ferocious beast, and that those who were friends with the demon were sure to die. As a child, these stories fascinated you, but you never understood why he was so hated. Was it because of his looks? Why did people percieve him so? She pitied the poor creature, feeling sympathy for it. She understood how it felt to be prejudged.

     The sun beamed in the noonday sky, as a beautiful blue hue spread across the horizon and above the entire country. The wind rustled peacefully like the laughter of little fairies, and the breeze danced with the aroma of the flowers. Large eyes watched Eria walking about, her raven hair free and in the sun, her petite golden figure darting through the brush to gather flowers. A huff was heard, and Eria turned towards the sound. That was her undoing.