Romania and The Team

Two weeks after accepting the position, Julia boarded a plane to the Cluj-Napoca International Airport in Romania. After fifteen hours between two flights, she waited at the rental car center in the airport for her female team members. They would be driving to the house they were staying at, and the guys would be driving together. 

As she waited, Julia couldn't help but notice how much she stuck out. Everyone in the airport was a good six inches taller than her 5'2. Her wavy golden hair and bright blue eyes didn't help her blend in, either. The only similarity between herself and the Romanians around her was her tan skin, earned from hours spent hiking outdoors.

After a while, she saw two women who didn't exactly fit in, either, and they each had a hiking backpack and a small suitcase like hers. They leaned against the counter next to her, whispering.

"I'm telling you, that's her!" the one with red hair hissed at the brunette.

Julia interrupted them. "I'm Julia Stevens, if that's who you're looking for."

The redhead elbowed the other one. "Told you." She held out a hand to Julia. "I'm Ginger Matthews. I know, my name is Ginger and I'm a ginger. So funny."

Julia giggled and the other woman rolled her eyes, smiling. "I'm Anna Taylor."

"And I'm Raven Parker," a voice said from behind.

Julia turned to see a black haired, green eyed girl who looked to be around her age. She smiled.

"Julia Stevens."

Julia rented a car and within ten minutes they'd all claimed their seats: Julia driving, Raven in front, Anna and Ginger in back.

"Since you called shotgun, you get to be on directions duty," Julia told Raven.

Raven saluted her. "Yes ma'am! But can we stop to eat? I haven't eaten in seven hours."

Ginger directed her to a place called Restaurant Panoramic. They parked and rode an elevator up to the top of the tall building, where they were seated at a table that overlooked Cluj-Napoca. It was a perfect mix of intoxicating city lights and gorgeous rolling hills, and the girls couldn't get enough of it. The only thing that could get them to leave was the thought of the house waiting for them in Atid.

Anna and Ginger were asleep before Julia pulled out of the parking lot. She envied them; she'd been on the go since five o'clock in the morning. If she was still going by Colorado time, it would be nine o'clock at night. She was in Romania, though, and it was six o'clock in the morning. She was jet lagged and her internal clock was all messed up.

"Are you going to stay awake with me?" she asked Raven. "I don't really need directions."

Raven smiled. "Duh I'm staying awake with you. What kind of friend would I be if I went to sleep and left you to suffer alone?"

Julia pulled onto a narrow dirt road and prepared herself for a long drive. The thought of her first friend on the team by her side was enough to make her almost happy.

***

Atid was in a very rural region of Romania. There were no hotels, but they were able to rent out a farmhouse with several bedrooms, a large living room/kitchen, and a ton of bathrooms. It was almost like a little bed and breakfast without the service.

They pulled up to David Farm at nine o'clock. It was a gorgeous little farmhouse, located in a glade between two miniature forests, with a crystal clear creek that ran alongside the house to the back yard. 

Though it was June, it was cold outside, and the four girls eagerly brought their things into the house. Ginger and Anna immediately got a fire going in the living room while Julia and Raven claimed the best bedroom. It was cozy, the beds were soft, the window had blackout curtains, and there was a stone fireplace. It was bordered on either side by two bathrooms, which was perfect for two girls.