✰ TWELVE - CASKET GIRLS ✰

" the city's ours until the fall "

OUTSIDE, in the streets of New Orleans, the Casket Girls celebrations were going on. A yearly reminder of the oppression faced by women and how they can triumph over idiotic men. Lena was really rather quite happy to slip into one of the vintage wedding dresses that Rebekah had found her for the festival.

Elijah and Rebekah had moved into the Abattoir, and so Lena now shared her room with Rebekah since neither of them were willing to give up the comfortable king-sized bed and beautiful balcony. The night before, Rebekah had gone to some antiques store and found a beautiful white wedding dress for Lena to wear to the festival as that seemed to be the custom, and she had done the same for Hayley (although Lena's was ultimately more beautiful.)

Lena stood in front of the mirrored folding-screen room divider with it's beautiful gold trimmings and vintage feel. She was pretty sure that she had heard Rebekah say that it was from the late 19th century, and she felt quite impressed.

The dress was gorgeous and Lena had fallen in love with it instantly. She could hardly wait a whole day before she could put it on, but when she did slip into it, she realised that the buttons at the back were far too hard for her to do up and she was stuck frowning at her stupidity in the mirror.

She should've gotten up earlier to let Rebekah fix her dress.

"Need some help, love?" she heard the familiar voice and caught sight of Klaus' reflection in the mirror. She smiled at the sigh of the dimples carved into his cheeks and the cheesy grin on his lips. He really was beautiful. 

"I can't reach the buttons," she admitted, causing Klaus to chuckle and move forward. She felt his fingers graze over her spine as he buttoned up the 1920's wedding dress. It was long, and very lacy, and flowed down from her hips with such a light fabric that there was no way she could get too warm that day. It also had the cutest lace sleeves.

"There," Klaus whispered, his breath sending shivers through her. He twirled a curl of her blue hair around his finger, smiling lightly to himself. Lena couldn't help but watch him in the mirror. He was so fascinating. The expression on his face was so light, Lena could hardly believe that it was him.

"Thank you." She made eye contact with him in the mirror and the first thought that jumped in her head when she saw the two of them reflected back to her was how cute a couple they would make. But she tried not to think about that. "I bet you don't get a lot of Casket Girls with blue hair roaming about, huh?" she tried to joke, but Klaus kept that small smile on his face.