We're Still Here

"Ishimaru." Mondo rolled the prefect on his back.

"Oi. Wake up, man." Mondo's stomach was aching.

"Hey!" He gave a gentle slap on Taka's cheek without any result. The look on Taka's face was so dead. Like the one Mondo had seen on his big brother's face which was now coming back to him and he began panicking. The prefect reminded Mondo of Daiya sometimes. Maybe it was that determination, the way they worked hard for their dreams. And more than anything the look of determination they had on their faces.

----

Mikan listened to the footsteps outside the infirmary. She watched the door closely and soon a panting biker entered with the prefect on his shoulder. Mondo didn't say a word as he placed Taka on one of the beds. He turned to look at Mikan who seemed frightened.

"Help him."

----

Mondo's gaze was fixed upon Taka, who was again grunting in pain, his hand in Mondo's, gripping it a bit too tight. Mondo didn't mind. There was something about it that made him feel calm. He felt like Taka trusted him. Taka found comfort in Mondo's hand. In Mondo. And honestly it made the biker feel glad, it was touching.

"Um, Owada..." Mikan approached him carefully.

"You...You should get some sleep too." She suggested carefully and for the third time Mondo refused the idea.

"At...at least d-drink something." Mikan's voice trembled. She offered the glass of water to the biker who took it with a little hesitation and drank all of it. He reached his hand to give it back to Mikan and as soon as Mikan took it, the biker's head dropped.

----

The infirmary was just like any hospital room at night. Silent, dim and filled with anxiety. At least for Mondo. He had waken up from the sleep that he had been forced to by the nurse. The poor guy's neck was hurting from the bad posture his head had been in for hours. He stretched it a little.

"What time is it?" Mondo wondered and looked around to find the clock.

"It's 1am?" They had slept the whole evening. Mondo was glad Taka was able to rest but he would have rather been awake himself. He was a bit embarrassed that he had been snoring next to his hurt classmate instead of watching over him. It was Mondo's job now.

----

The principal was astounded by not only the bullies' actions but by the biker's actions. It was definitely not the first time Mondo had been in his office for doing stupid shit. But Mondo had betrayed the principal's trust who was forced to cancel the course the biker had so eagerly wanted to hold. Mondo understood it completely. But he didn't regret anything. He didn't regret threatening the bullies because now they themselves got into trouble.

----

A year later...

Mondo stared at Taka lying next to him. His hand was ruffling the prefect's soft hair.

"You seem troubled," Taka pointed out.

"Uh?" Mondo stopped what he was doing. He moved his hand on the prefect's waist and lifted the shirt up a little. His fingers wandered over the scar. He brushed it gently with his thumb.

"I'm sorry." Mondo's voice was raspy when he whispered.

"Mondo..?"

"I should've noticed it back then. I should've known." Mondo felt guilty even though they hadn't even been together back then. He hadn't even had his crush on Taka a year ago. At least he didn't think so.

Taka sighed uneasily and Mondo quickly moved his hand away from Taka's waist and instead brought it to his cheek.

"Sorry, didn't wanna remind ya of that." They smiled sadly. Taka took Mondo's hand in his. That never failed to make him feel safe and happy. It was the same for Mondo who never got enough of that warm, soft hand holding his. That feeling of being trusted no matter what.

----

They stared at the ceiling together, Taka's head resting on Mondo's lap. They were preparing themselves for the next day. It was going to be their last Christmas at Hope's Peak. Mondo felt like crap about bringing up a bad memory when they were already feeling gloomy. He was struggling with himself, trying to think of what to do to lighten up the mood before the prefect would fall asleep.

"Remember last Christmas?" Mondo asked and Taka turned his head to look at Mondo.

"Last Christmas?"

"Yeah. When me 'n' Kaito tried to make gingerbreads." The biker was chuckling softly. Taka remembered. The whole kitchen had been a mess, the two guys shouting at each other and poor Teruteru trying to help them. Of course Mondo and Kaito had been too proud to accept the cook's help.

"You gave me the one that hadn't burned..." Taka smiled and Mondo blushed and started stuttering.

"I...uh....Yeah, 'course I did..."

Mondo started humming some Christmas tunes, Taka couldn't help but close his eyes when he listened to the low soothing voice. Mondo patted his sleeping boyfriend's hair before falling asleep himself. They were safe and sound.

This was originally going to be the last chapter but I got excited and wrote more but I'm not sure if I should publish it, we'll see. AND if you've never heard We're Still Here then go listen, it might actually be my favorite song from Sleeping At Last.

---

You were on a frequency

The perfect opposite of me

Though I never needed any proof

To trust the heart that beats inside of you

-We're Still Here, Sleeping At Last