1

"Elle."

I could hear my father calling for me from our living room while I was helping my mother in the kitchen.

"Elle!" He called again, this time with a hint of irritation in his voice.

And I knew I had to go to him immediately. Although a loving father, my papa wasn't a pretty site when he got angry.

"Don't make him wait Elle" mama said in a low voice while tossing the vegetables in the pan.

Sighing I raised my voice a bit so that papa could hear me and replied, "coming papa!"

I made my way into the living room where my father, John knight, was seated with a glass of tea in one hand while the other rested on his forehead as if he was tired.

Sitting near papa I placed my hand on his forearms and tugged lightly. Papa raised his head and gave me a nod. Although his expression didn't change his eyes looked at me softly.

"How have you been little one?" He asked.

"All good papa"

"I've got to tell you something my child. It might be a bit difficult for you but this is for the best"

I could feel my stomach churning in anticipation. A worried papa wasn't a good news. He was a man who always had things in control. His tensed demeanour worried me.

"What is it?" I questioned afraid of his answer.

"We have fixed your marriage" papa said his expression remaining passive

"What?" I questioned shocked.

Papa simply stared at me and then nodded. As if to confirm what he just said.

I couldn't wrap my head around what he said and I stood dumbfounded.

"Papa! What are you talking about? No. Please no."

My father's eyes flashed with a bit of sadness and replied "Try to understand, Elle"

"Understand what ? The fact that you got me engaged to man who I do not know? The fact that you didn't ask me for my permission?" I yelled infuriated.

"I will not be talked to like that, Elle." My father replied sternly with his eyes boring into mine.

I shut my eyes tightly trying to control my tears and anger and opened them only to stare down at the floor.

Sighing papa said, "little one, I know you are upset. But you have to understand that I would do nothing to harm you."

"Why don't you go upstairs and relax a bit?" My eldest brother Eric said coming from behind me and lightly holding my shoulders. I don't know when he entered the living room.

Giving a defeated sigh I sagged my shoulders cuz i knew that there was no point in talking with my papa or my brother. For paapa would never change his decisions and none of his sons will go against him either.

I ran upstairs to my room. Throwing open the bedroom door I curled on my bed trying to decipher the bomb shell that just dropped on me.

I was just eighteen. I just finished school. I wanted to study more. Make a career. Live more. Find a partner myself eventually. Deep inside I knew these were impossible for girls in my family. But I was atleast hoping to go to college.

I heard footsteps approaching my bedroom.

"Hey" I heard Steve, my second eldest brother say softly.

"Can't you make him change his decision?" I asked.

"You know I can't, Elle"

"Please.."

"I am sorry pumpkin"

Looking up at Steve I asked,"do you think I would stand a chance in making him change the decision?"

Steve gave me a sad smile and replied, "why don't you try, pumpkin? After all you are papa's little one"

I just nodded and turned back. I knew I can't barge to papa right now and ask for anything. So I decided to ask a bit later once both I and papa are a bit relaxed.

"Who is it?" I murmured softly.

"What?" Questioned Eric now sitting near Steve.

"Who am I engaged to?"

"Damien."

I whipped my head around to look at my brothers in utter shock and they looked back at me worriedly.

I couldn't believe my ears.

Damien King. The most cruel, powerful and heartless underworld mafia boss. The king of the mafia world. All the whispers about his cruelty and sadistic ways suddenly flooded my mind. And I knew from whatever I heard from my father and brothers that they were all true.

All the thoughts of convincing my father later was thrown out of my mind and I ran to my father.

"There is no way I am marrying that man, papa! I don't care what deal it is. But please.. Please call it off papa.. I can't go to that family. I can't marry that man. He is too cruel and heartless. Please papa.. Don't do this to me.." What started in a yelling was reduced into a whisper by the end as I fell down on the floor holding on to my papa's knee for support as he was sitting on the couch.

"You have no choice, Elle. My decision will not change. The sooner you accept it, the better." My father said in a strong voice.

A loud sob escaped my lips as I cried holding on to papa. Papa simply patted my head until I fell asleep on his lap.