six

Tromsø, Norway, 2006

Estelle held tight to the snowball she packed, squeezing the snow in together as tightly as she could as she waited for her brother to poke his head around the corner. 

She was aware that he knew exactly where she was, but he had no clue as to the war she was ready to wage against him. 

Thirty-six years together and she could not image a time where she did not have him at her side, where he was not the baby brother though lack of experience only. Many assumed they were a couple at first glance. This instantly ceased when they started to introduce themselves as twins despite how little they resembled one another. 

Thomas was a funny sort. He kept a sort of charm from his humanity that made him approachable to any, the sort that put others instantly at ease. It was his talent, stemming from the people skills he had always possessed. Thomas could make anyone lower their defences and treat him as though he wasn't a threat, that anyone in his presence wasn't a threat. It was a passive skill that made him easily go unnoticed if he wanted. 

So long as no one was trying to notice him as Estelle was trying to do now. 

At the first sight of the top of his head, the snow made impact his his hand a breath after she launched it. Thomas did not smile or laugh. His expressions was one of concern and seriousness that steeled the girls spine and had emotion bubbling in the pit of her stomach. 

"Marion says we're expecting guests. She received a call saying they touched down at the airport and were on their way here with news," Thomas says softly, keeping the conversation between the pair of them. "She wanted to warn you that Carlisle and Esme were going to be here any moment."

Estelle hissed. 

The last she had seen the pair it had not been good. 

After Thomas had been changed and she had spent a week helping the boy get a baring for the life that she could properly introduce him to when they were home, Estelle had painstakingly tacked Carlisle down to somewhere in New Orleans with a plea for a safe way that he could help Thomas get home. 

At that point, Estelle was letting him mix the diet between human and animal, letting him sate the hunger in a manner that was safe, just as her maman had allowed her to do. Carlisle had not been impressed with her approach. 

He had asked Thomas to stay with him, citing it would be safer that traveling by plane. Estelle, already tense from Rosalie's hanging on doorways and trailing ons, had been in a foul mood, and had shared some not kind words with the man. 

Carlisle had been kind, and when Estelle finally made it safely home after chattering herself and Thomas a boat, Marion had described the discussion she and Carlisle had shared and the ending result of a strained relationship. 

Apparently the man was not pleased with her maman's approach to Rosalie either. 

Estelle was sure that he has just as many opinions of her handling of Emmett. 

Emmett, who having only spending a few hours with her, claimed that he could not see himself finding love for anyone other that her. Emmett who, after speaking to her with such reverence, still grew angry over her decision to return home and not allowing him the chance to prove himself. Emmett, who had so many wrong and false opinions about her maman because of his hero worship of Rosalie, being everything she could see herself wanting in a partner, yet Estelle still chose to leave behind. 

It was difficult to think of the things that they could have been. After spending months writing one another, calling one another, he still refused to come visit, and Estelle refused to go there where she would leave her family behind and be faced with the ungrateful Rosalie everyday.