It's all a bit gay

Sirius would have dealt with a lot of internalised homophobia for a long time, Remus too, though Sirius always had emotions as high as a kite, to the point that he would often forget his surroundings and outrightly, albeit subconsciously,  make homophobic comments towards Remus as well as acting on self deprecating thoughts.

Eventually the group found a way around this-everyone was homophobic, purposefully.

For example, if Sirius forgot that he was in the dorms and Remus would reach for his hand, he would usually flinch away and feel disgusted before coming back to himself. In this moment one of the others would make a comment like "what are you doing Remus? That's so gay!"

Sirius would immediately snap out of his discomfort in aid of Remus and defend him without a second thought. After a while of this behaviour, which honestly made everyone a little uncomfortable, Sirius began to associate his own discomfort with a need to protect Remus.

Before long, Sirius was reaching closer to Remus than he ever had before, shielding him from harm before he, or anyone else, could say anything to hurt him.

Sirius learned not to be afraid and the two fell harder and faster in love.