Thirteen

I woke up to find myself on a bed, but it was not my bed. The sound of steady beeping came from near me and it felt like someone was holding onto my hand. Based on the sparks shooting up and down my arm, I guessed it was that scary guy— why didn't his name stick with me?!

It took maybe four or five tries, but I finally got my eyes open. The person next to me squeezed my hand when they noticed.

"Eirenae?" He asked me.

I flicked my eyes over to find I'd been correct: it was the boy with changing eyes. And so I started to panic.

I felt my heartbeat speed up, making the beeping next to me speed up as well. I ripped my hand away from Scary Guy, ignoring the flash of pain that shot up my arm in the process.

"Hey!" He called out gently. "Eirenae, it's okay. Relax, you're safe."

Safe? I didn't know where I was, who he was, and how I got here. How could that be safe?

The distinct sound of feet running on the hard floor made my head turn. I saw a lady in blue scrubs and a white coat hurrying towards us. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a braided bun.

"Holly, she woke up." Scary Guy told the lady.

Holly smiled. "I can see that." She turned to me with gentle eyes. "Luna," Luna? "Can I look you over so I can help you?"

I widened my eyes. This was a doctor. I haven't been to a doctor since before. . . Jack wouldn't allow it, making me heal slowly on my own. He didn't want the doctors to get suspicious.

With my eyes still wide, I sat up and scooted backwards, doing my best to ignore the fire igniting in my wrist. My back pressed against the wall and I realized I was stuck. Machines blocked my escape to the left, Scary Guy was in the way on the right, and the doctor was at the foot of the bed.

I looked down to see I was still in my clothes from school, which brought me relief, but an IV was sticking out of my arm. I took a deep breath and ripped the tube out, wincing a little.

"No! Eirenae, stop." The doctor called out, but I ignored her.

Scary Guy got up, reaching out for me and I took the opportunity to run. I raced past him, hopping off the cot-like bed and down the aisle.

I didn't really know where to go, so I just ran, because honestly it's the only solution I know when my brain freezes up. Reaching a solid wall, I scanned the length of it, but I found no door along it, meaning I'd gone the wrong way.

Tears leaked out of my eyes and I leaned against the wall in defeat. With my eyes closed, I turned around and slid down. I rested my head against me knees, trying not to cry any more than I already was.

"Luna," I heard Holly say quietly. Why does she keep saying that? Who's Luna?

I peeked up through the tears to find her crouched in front of me. "Luna, why don't we go back to the bed?"

I shook my head and whimpered.

She gave me a soft smile. "Would it help to know I sent the Alpha away?" What's with all the strange words? Can't she just speak English for me? So I just shrugged. "The boy from earlier, I sent him out."

I blinked. Scary Guy was gone? She extended her hand and I hesitated. She was still going to want to know what happened. But wait, wasn't I to expect that? With a lot of persuasion, I ultimately made the choice to accept their help after school today. Or maybe yesterday. How long was I out?

I needed her help. I needed to allow myself to be okay with that. Slowly, after taking a long deep breath, I reached up and put my hand in hers. She squeezed it gently and pulled me up. I winced as my wrist and face began to throb now that the adrenaline had left. Concerned flooded her eyes.