ONE

I lay on the cold cement floor, wishing that I had at least something to sleep on other than cement. Wishing that I had at least a mattress to be comfortable on. Griggs who stood outside my cell from time to time, would mimick me in wanting something that felt like home. Fortunately for me, he wasn't here now until I heard something knock on the outside of my door. Keeping my sight on the roof, the knock happened again.

"What?" I yelled out, hopping up and headed towards the cell door to see what was going on. A man who had a serious look on his face, stared intently at me.

"Estelle?" He asked me and I turned around quickly shaking the thought out of my head. I looked back towards him and gripped ahold of the bars that separated us.

"It's Tess to you. Now what?" I snapped back at him and he just chuckled before rubbing his face. A smirk was on his face, however, it didn't look like a happy one.

"I want to see what you can do." He stated and I laughed looking around at my empty cell before looking back at him.

"Well get me something genius, also I need this collar off me!" I screamed out and the door was unlocked. A slim brick was thrown inside and it broke into two as it hit the ground, just before a guard came in and removed my collar. I kneeled on the ground and closed my eyes thinking about the pieces and what they could turn into. My eyes forced open and I saw the pieces transform into butterfly until it was exploded around the room.

I breathed heavily as I looked back towards the man who was nodding and smiling lightly. Then he was off and I was alone once again after the guard left me with the collar back on. My back hit the cement floor once again and I sighed out deeply.

"Estelle, get up!" The voice of Griggs yelled out and I just turned over, ignoring him by facing the other wall.

"Tess!" He yelled out again and I got up this time, as I was called by my name. I put an innocent look on my face as I headed over to him.

"What?" I asked him and he handed me something that was supposed to be food through the bars. My lip turned up in disgust as I just stared at him. One of my hands up on my hip. 

"What the hell is this shit?" I questioned him and he laughed in my face before walking off. I'd rather starve then eat this. Who knows what they have put in this. I slid it back through the bars and let it land on the other side.

FLASHBACK

This was my first night here in Belle Reve Penitentiary and I was scared of what was going to happen. I heard screaming echo throughout the prison joint, and continued hearing it for another 2-3 minutes. I couldn't lay still, always tossing and turning on the cold floor.

"Estelle! Hi there. You'll fit right in here with all of these other psycho's. That's if you ever leave your cell!" Griggs screamed through the bars, leaving me heaving and sobbing.

Paint young honey,
Face so sunny,
Ain't that funny.

"How about we play a game? If you stay alive, you can have some alone time in your cell by yourself." He stated as I shook my head in the chair I was strapped to. Something being injected into my veins that had a weird sensation to it.

You're too mean,
I don't like you,
Fuck you anyway.

END OF FLASHBACK

My thoughts ran wild as to who that man was beforehand. He seemed impressed but mad at the exact same time. My thoughts came to a complete stop as my eyes fluttered close. I don't know what time I fell asleep as I can't see any clocks.