nicotine

since that night, the night marco ventured into stars old room and found the only thing she left behind, he hasn't slept well. he found himself sneaking out at night to wander the dark streets. he had no one to talk to, no one to tell the about his running mind. even if he did, he wouldn't be able to put his thoughts into words. 

well, that was a lie. he did have people, he just didn't rely on them. he didn't tell them what was running through his mind. he lived in his head most of the time, in a blur of thoughts and dreams instead of in reality like he used to do. how could one person mess him up so much?

eventually, when he got tired (he was always tired), marco sat on the curb outside the seven eleven that star and him had their first adventure together.

"oh, hey marco!" star whispered from where she had somehow folded herself into an empty shelf. "star? what are you-" 

"shhh! don't give my hiding spot away!" marco crouched down to her level and spoke in hushed whispers. "what are you hiding from exactly?" star smirked, a mischievous look in her sky blue eyes. "haha well you see i may have opened a bag of chips and ate it and forgot my wallet at home? and now the owner wants to-" 

"hey! there you are!" the owner stood at the end of the isle, anger making his face as red as marcos jacket. "shoot-" star pushed marco over, stumbling out of her hiding place. she sprung up, pulling marco up and dragging him behind her by his hood. marco struggled to keep up, the only thing keeping him going was the enraged store owner cussing and chasing after the two. he kept following them even as they left the store, and only quit once they two had hid behind a dumpster in an alleyway. when he couldn't find the pair, he yelled into the open air about how he would find them both and "make them pay". once he had fumed away, star looked at marco with concern. "sorry about that, i didnt mean to-"

"are you kidding me, that was so cool! i just ran from him, holy crap!" marco could still feel the adrenaline running through his body. stars concern turned to giddiness. "if you thought that was fun, ive got a lot of things to teach you."

"whats a boy like you doing out here so late?" marco looked up to what appeared to be another human. they had short ginger hair, pale skin covered in freckles, and an outfit that screamed 'fuck with me, i dare you.' hanging from their lips was a unlit cigarette, and the aura they gave off, well marco cant really describe it. he shrugged in response and tore his eyes away from them in order to down the empty street instead. he didn't want to stare for too long, as that was ruse, but this boy was seriously pretty. "cant sleep. havent in a long while." he winced, not meaning to give away the fact that he hasn't slept right in months. jeez, whats wrong with him? the kid decided to sit down next to marco on the curb, lighting their cigarette. marco watched them as they did so, and they noticed. "want one?"

marco almost, almost said no. but he hesitated. he's never smoked or drank before, always taking those "i will be drug free" things at school seriously. but, its just nicotine its not like it'll make him high or drunk. and besides, this would probably only be a one time thing. one couldnt hurt, right? "sure." he grabbed one of the cigarettes from the pack the kid was holding out to him and placed it between his lips. the freckled kid leaned over and lit his cigarette with their lighter. "thanks." his hands smelled like tobacco, smoke, and chocolate. it was an interesting combination. 

the cigarettes taste and smell was disgusting, and he couldn't help but make a face. the kid next to him laughed at the face he made. "im guessing youve never smoked before huh?" marco shook his head, and the kid smirked as he told him what to do with the cigarette. it took a few tries to get the hang of it, but when he felt the euphoric buzz from the nicotine he decided that the smell was worth it.

the ginger kid had a smirk on their face, watching marco as he learned how to do this. they then took a puff of their own before letting their head fall back. they closed their eyes as they blew out the smoke, holding their weight up by their hands placed behind them. the two were quiet after that, and it was a comfortable silence. marco felt his mind calm for once, and he didnt know if it was because of the presence of this random kid or if it was the nicotine now running through his system. he concluded that it was both.

 "tom. tom lucitor." marco tore his gaze from the nothingness of the empty street over at them to find them staring at him with their violet-blue eyes. their lips were pulled into a small smirk, the expression on their face almost unreadable. marco knew then, this wasn't just some random kid he'd never see again. no, he had a feeling this kid would come into his life the way star did -- unexpected and at full force and in the end he'd end up broken and hurting and suffering when he decided to disappear on him as well. even so, marco decided then and there. he didnt care if he ended up heartbroken again. 

"diaz. marco diaz."