What is Gaza Writes Back?

What is Gazawritesback?

Gazawritesback is a new initiative formed by two diligent advocates in an attempt to raise awareness about Israel's war crimes and the current occupation and theft of land in Palestine. This has been ongoing for 66 years -at the time of publication of this guide, yet many people are not aware of the current crimes against humanity and the killing of their brothers and sisters, EVERY day.

Why is raising awareness important?

Like raising awareness about bullying and environmental issues and human rights is important, so is raising awareness about what's happening in Palestine.

And since the media everywhere has always served [with exceptions of course] to fabricate a false image of the issue then it's up to those who know the truth to help those who don't in order to reach the same conclusion.

If more people open their eyes to what's really happening then hopefully more people will start taking action whether it be small or big.

How can I participate?

It's quite simple! If you're willing, there are a number of ways you can take part and help raise awareness!

[1] What if I'm a Wattpad writer?

Include a few lines within your story surrounding the current issue. Even if it is one sentence. If you write teen-fiction, fan-fiction even!

An example would be: your main character is watching the news and the issue of Palestine comes on. You can now create a short dialogue between the main character and a second character addressing the issue. Maybe they're arguing because they're not on the same page when it comes to this.

Get creative! There's a lot of scenarios you can introduce a teeny weeny bit about the issue through.

We're not asking you to base your story in or about Palestine because that's a heck of a lot of hard work and research to do. Of course, if you can accomplish such a thing that would be beyond great— and there's already quite a handful of Wattpad books revolving around Palestine including compilations of quotes, stories, and even rants.

Still, a sentence would be lovely.

[2] What if I have not written any works?

Do not despair! We have a job for everyone! If you are keen to participate but have not written any works, we encourage you to write a poem or even a short story on the issue.

Write a three lines long rant. Write your opinion. Compile a bunch of your favourite quotes about Palestine. Address a misconception. Anything.

If you have a Wattpad thread where you make graphics [covers/banners]— why not have the Palestinian flag or a quote about Palestine somewhere?

AND THEN WHAT?

Tag your book 'gazawritesback' — WITH NO UPPERCASE LETTERS [capital letters] OR SPACES IN BETWEEN— so we can find your book + add it to our public reading list for more people to read. We will try to read every tagged work and drop everyone a comment! And hold on— there's more!

On a weekly basis [hopefully so] we'll be picking one story and one other work [ poem / rant / quotes / etc. ] that are outstanding. These will be added to a reading list and book entitled 'GEMS' and promoted.

OTHER:

[1] Informing all your readers and followers about the movement and telling about this profile would help immensely!

[2] Courage! If you support the cause, add the words 'Gaza Writes Back' to your bio in any form. There's no reason to be ashamed. If celebrities have been brave enough to do it then you can too!

[3] Actually read [as much as possible] the history of the conflict we'll be posting soon. If you're well-educated about the issue then you can speak up for Palestine when someone's blabbing ridiculous claims. If you're well-educated about the issue you can help more people learn about it as well.

                                That's about it— for now!

         The more support we get, the sooner we can develop
         this into a bigger movement, and reach more people!