Both of Us - Isaac Lahey FF (Teen Wolf)

The sunrise was gradual. I was lying on my bed, on top of the covers, watching the shadows begin to stretch slowly across my bedroom ceiling. My dark, curly hair was sprawled across my pillows, and my olive toned limbs were spread across my white comforter.  Downstairs I could hear my dad singing along to the same Elvis Presley CD he’s listened to since I was a little girl. My green eyes stared at the white ceiling, not really seeing anything. My alarm clock told me that it was only 13 minutes before it would start screeching me awake, unaware that I hadn’t even been to sleep.

            Fourth night in a row.

            I swung my feet over the side of my bed and reached onto my nightstand to turn off my alarm. Directly in front of me was my vanity, scattered with make-up and hair brushes and hair product. In the tall oval mirror, my tired eyes watched myself, wondering why the hell I was suddenly becoming an insomniac. Summoning as much energy as I could, I pushed off of my bed and walked across my hardwood floor to my bathroom to brush my teeth and shower.

            Standing in the shower, I knew exactly how this was going to go; I would get ready for another day at Beacon Hills High, go downstairs, into the bakery my father owned, and grab a donut before heading off. And on the drive to school, the fatigue would hit me. I’d wander to my homeroom, doze for fifteen minutes, and wake up in time for first period. I didn’t give any of that much thought except for the doze in homeroom.

            It happened every time I fell asleep, whenever I managed to. The dream would start the moment I drifted into unconsciousness. I would be surrounded by a white light. So bright it hurt my eyes until they adjusted. I couldn’t see a thing, but I could feel everything. It usually took me a moment to distinguish what exactly was happening, but it usually started with his arms around me. I didn’t have a face to confirm that it was in fact a guy, but I just felt it was. His arms were muscular. He was about a head taller than me, and he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close to his chest. He would tuck my head under his chin and lightly massage my sides with his thumbs.

            I couldn’t describe the feeling. It was complete serenity. It was as if my life was a complete wreck and I was falling apart at the seams until the moment we touched. He held me together; kept me from shattering into complete nothingness. And the thing was, I had no idea I was threatening to do that until after he was holding me.

            I hadn’t realized I had closed my eyes. I could smell the forest, and, faintly, leather. The smell of…him. My eyes snapped open, my heart rate spiking up. But, of course, I was all alone in the shower, the water beginning to run cold. I quickly rinsed and got out, drying myself with a towel. In my closet, I pulled on a navy button-up, dark skinny jeans, and my black boots. I grabbed my bag on the way out of my room, heading downstairs. The music had just stopped.

            My dad was putting cupcakes into boxes when I entered the bakery. He was known for his wonderful culinary skills and Hanna’s was the most popular bakery in Beacon Hills and the surrounding towns. Hanna’s was simple. With white tile floors, white marble countertops and cabinets. Scones, biscotti’s, cakes  and éclairs sat on display. In the glass container sat dozens of delicious donuts. My dad closed the mint green cardboard box and ruffled my hair.

            “Morning, Al.” He smiled, planting a kiss on the top of my head. I gave him a smile.

            “Morning, Dad. Delivery this early?” I asked, going behind the counter to open the glass container, eyeing a crème filled Long John.

            “Yes, but not mine!” He shrugged on his jacket. It was black with HANNA’S BAKERY embroidered in mint green letters. On the front right breast, NATHAN THESBY was scrawled in mint green cursive. “This goes with you. Special delivery for a Mr. Stilinski.” He told me.