49.) Conversing.

CHANDRA
Feb. 19th

"Mama?" Kay called coming into my room. "Yes?" I answered working on a new wig unit.

"What are you doing?" She asked hopping on the bed. "Making a wig." I answered looking at her through the mirror.

"What's on your mind?" I asked seeing that she had something to say or ask me.

"How Uncle August buy dis house?" She asked I busted out laughing.

"Really Kay?" I asked turning around and looked at her, her expression read 'I'm so serious' which made it funnier.

"He works mama, works hard." I said and she stared me for a moment.

"Can I play with Briel today?" She questioned. "School's tomorrow Kay." I reminded and she frowned.

"Can she come over here?" She begged and thought on it. "You have to ask your Uncle." I told her and she grinned getting off the bed.

"Can I get your phone?" She asked and I nodded turning in the chair to finish work on this wig.

She ran out the room and took a little time to think back on my life.

I was wrong for keeping the girls from their Uncles... I was just scared when Mel got killed so I ran to Houston.

I didn't want August to feel like I was only coming around for money or because I wanted him to feel sorry for me.

Mel planned on telling August about the girls two nights before they took him from us.

He always spoke highly of August.

I knew of his other brothers, but August was his favorite, which was understandable since he was youngest and always around him.

Many nights did he feel bad for hiding the girls from the family, it was part of his whole paranoia with the street life.

When we had Chay, we spoke about telling them but did he got caught up in some mess.

So we kept it between us and mama Sheila.

When they took Mel, I moved into the safe house out in Houston and she would always come to spend time and make sure we were alright.

There wasn't a day that went by where I wanted to just pick up the phone and call August or pop up at his place.

But I was scared, I felt guilty and wasn't sure how he would react.

Christmas may have not been the perfect time to do it, but Mama Sheila and Travis them insisted.

The only thing I could think about was the moment he saw them was that he would chew me out.

But Sheila took the fall and I felt bad, because it was my responsibility.

"Mama!" Kay called snapping me out my thoughts. "Hm?" I hummed and she handed me my phone.

"Why don't you ever type in da passcode?" I asked seeing Chay pop her head into the room.

"What y'all doing?" She asked and I laughed waving her in knowing Amaiya would be in here soon.