The Final Problem

The next day we finally reached Russia. Traveling with James wasn't all that bad. Except the quiet. But I didn't mind, it gave me time to think. Last night had changed things, at least for me it had.

"April," James caught my attention and pulled me out of my thoughts. "I have to leave you at the safe house for a few days. I need to take care of the men that are after you." He spoke in a calm tone, this subject wasn't open for discussion.

"Come back to me." I whispered and traced my thumb across his cheek. We had just turned onto a narrow road when something exploded. Before I knew it, I was being pulled out of the car and drug into a black SUV.

"Get us out of here before they come to!" A gruff voice yelled.

"James." I tried to call out to him but it felt as if I was under water. I turned my head slowly despite the pain it caused, to see him next to me, being held down by another man. Then I felt a cloth covering my mouth. And as I struggled against the grip of a strong hand, I fell into the blackness, only this time it wasn't a dream.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up in a room with no windows and only one lamp in the corner on the floor. I was alone, in the darkness. That's when I heard noises coming from the other side of the door. A man came through and James was following him holding a gun against the man's head.

"April. Are you alright?" He as in a controlled voice.

"Yes, I am." Now I understood. He had beat them. Somehow, he had won. He had taken care of me this whole time. James took the man back into the hall and I heard a shot, then a thud. Coming back into the room he told me.

"You don't have to worry anymore, it's over." He held out a hand to help me off the dirty floor. There was no expression on his face, and I could never read his eyes. They were almost as impenetrable as the rest of his armor. Almost. Then he brushed his thumb against my face, so softly I almost didn't feel it. This is why he had killed those men, to protect me, to keep me safe.I was much more than an assignment to him now. Much more.

"I love you." He said to me, and he slowly leaned in to kiss me.

"I love you too James." I told him and I stood on my tip toes to close the last few inches between us.