Chapter V - Day at the Pictures

Walking out through the front door, I noticed the smell of nature accompanied by the warmth of the sun and the sound of birds singing their songs. This place felt different from home. It had a fresh, clean feel to it that could easily put someone in euphoria in an instant. It felt so beautiful and lovely to be outside for once without my parent's worrying about me or accompanying me. Instead, I'm arm in arm with a sweet, adorable cup-headed man. Wait, did I really just think that? I shake the thoughts out of my head as he escorts me down a gravel-filled pathway with the sight of a garden patch nearby. I slow down a little, feeling as if someone or something may live here and that I'm going to have to meet them. I grip onto his arm a little and begin biting my lower lip. Cuphead notices and stops walking, turning his head to look in my direction and down to face me.

'What's wrong?' He asks with a slightly distressed tone in his voice.

'Uh...' I pause, looking down at my feet, 'I'm not ready to meet everyone yet... I'm a little scared.'

'Don't be scared, they're my friends.' Cuphead smiled reassuringly lowering his arm, causing mine to drop and fall by my side. I continued to look down at my feet, unable to shake this feeling from myself. My long hair falls from my shoulders and covers the sides of my face, making Cuphead unable to see my reaction completely. As my eyes stare at my own two feet, I see another pair of brown shoes stand in front of mine as I felt the gentle touch of a gloved finger under my chin raise my head.

'It's okay, if you don't want to meet my friends right now, I won't force you.' Cuphead explained, giving me a soft look in his eyes as he continued to hold my end of my face. I smiled shyly, blushing a little as he exchanged the same smile back at me. 'Listen, doll, why don't we just head on over to town? It is more crowded over there but you don't have to interact with anyone other than me. Plus, there's a lot more stuff to do over there.' I nodded in agreement. A huge grin appeared on his face as he took my arm in his and began to walk us over there. I couldn't help but blush a little and fluster over the fact that he called me doll.

A few minutes passed with playful chatter along the way and I got to know Cuphead a little more. He was surprisingly really open to me and he was incredibly sweet. When we reached the town, the sign we stopped at read 'Inkwell Isle III', so I guess we already passed Isle II. I looked to my right and noticed Cuphead taking in all the sights and smells this place had to offer with a grin on his face.

'Fella's wait up!' A familiar voice could be heard shouting behind us. We both turned around and saw the unmistakable Mugman dashing towards us, stopping to a halt when he reached us and catching his breath. 'Golly, you two are fast.'

'Well, we didn't really spend much time in Isle one.' Cuphead added.

'What? How come?' Mugman questioned with a curious reaction. I got embarrassed and hung my head low again. Cuphead noticed and turned back towards Mugman.

'Just... reasons...' He exclaimed, sounding as if he didn't want Mugman to know just how fragile I truly am. Mugman shrugged it off as he reached into his pockets on the sides of his blue shorts.

'Anyway, Elder Kettle gave me some coins for us to share. So what should we do with them?' Mugman pulled out six coins, sharing two of them amongst the three of us.

'Why don't we go to the Carnival?' Cuphead suggested with a huge smile spreading across his face from cheek to cheek.

'No Cuphead, the carnival is closed today.' Mugman responded. The smile on Cuphead's face almost instantly dropped, bringing out a heavy sigh from his chest. The boys pondered for a moment as we began walking around the town. To my left, I saw a building with big, bold letters on the front of it that read 'Cinema' on it.