marty

My name is Marty Santos. I'm 14 years old.  And yeah, from that you'd assume that I'm a normal boy who likes sports and girls.

But I don't know if I do.

Ever since seventh grade, I've been stuck in a cycle of questioning. It has been horrible. I try to find a word that fits me, but nothing seems to stay.

As for sports, I absolutely love running. I've been running competitively for so long. I'm even the best on my team!

But my team doesn't care. None of them talk to me.

In eighth grade, I was friends with TJ Kippen.  He was the absolute coolest person you could ever meet. I had already started questioning myself then. He came out to our friend group as gay. They were all horrible to him. To me, that was the bravest thing someone could ever do. I couldn't speak up though. I didn't want to lose my only friends.

And so I stayed with them for a little while.

Everyday, they would poke fun at TJ. They would call him words I could never repeat. This went ok into our freshman year of high school. We noticed that he had made friends with some of the other outcasts. TJ started ignoring what they would say. They seemed to need a new target.

And so they chose me.

They would relentlessly target me. I was always quieter than the others. I never bullied TJ. They decided to use that against me. They called me a fag and a fairy because I was much smaller than them. I kept coming back because I didn't want to be alone.

Until the day they beat me up.

I was waiting for my mom to pick me up when they came. They started calling me names. I tried to ignore them. It didn't work. They grabbed me by my collar and punched me in the stomach. I was so much pain.

My mom didn't even notice when I could barely walk. She never really cared about me anyways. I went to my room and looked in my mirror. I didn't deserve this abuse.

And so I isolated myself.