Chapter 45 - "You're right, I don't protect my left side."

Something snapped inside Donovan at the sight of Carter unmoving. A blinding rage filled every aspect of his being. Carter's attacker barely had time to turn, when he found Donovan's foot slammed into his chest, fracturing his breast bone. The man stumbled back, but Donovan was far from being done.

Tucking away the gun, he attacked the man with vicious force and accuracy. The man's neck snapped to the side as Donovan punched him in the jaw, following it up with a blow to the ribs and a second to the stomach. Adrenaline raced through his veins dulling his own pain. As the man tried to right himself, Donovan pulled out his gun. Flipping it, he caught the muzzle and cracked it against the man's face. The force of the impact sent the man crashing to the floor.

From the corner of his eye, he registered Carter moving. Done with the man before him, he fired at his leg keeping him on the floor. A weak cry of pain slipped form Carter's lips. Like a light switched, Donovan's anger vanished as he hurried to her side. Worry and concern ate away at his heart as he knelt beside her. A bruise was growing on her cheek and her skin had a paleness to it that terrified him.

"Carter," he said, emotions escaping with her name.

Carter's breath came in shallow gasps as she focused on him. The strangled sound was like a tear in his heart. He was bent over her, studying her, hating every sign of hurt. Hiding his gun away, he reached out and gently cupped the back of her head. He brushed the side of her face, wishing he could absorb all her pain.

"Hey," he said, his voice tender.

She took in a deep breath, the weariness in that movement almost breaking Donovan.  As she stared at him something in her face changed and her blue eyes lightened.

"You're right," she said, her voice raspy. "I don't protect my left side."

Relief like he had never known it crashed into Donovan. Dropping his head, he gave a shaky laugh. Unable to stop himself, he leaned forward and kissed her forehead, his breathing ragged. Her skin felt hot beneath his lips and it solidified the fact that she was alive. Hating that he had to, he pulled away.

"Don't move," he said. "I have to take care of the lock down and I'll be right back."

As if scared he would break her, he slowly lowered her head back to the floor. Standing, he locked the main office door and headed to Principal Withers's office. Following Deputy Townsend's instructions, he reversed the lockdown, moving as fast as he could.

The shutters retracted and gray light filtered into the room. The grinding metal rang in the silence of the room. When he stepped from the office, Carter was propped on her elbows, though her gaze was still hazy. Donovan pulled the radio from his pocket and clicked it on.

"Deputy Townsend," he said, "you're clear."

"Well done, Agent. Hold your position and my men will find you."

"Copy that."

Donovan slipped the radio into his pocket before crouching down by Carter.

"Can you get up?" he asked, studying her, seeing what strength had returned.

She started to nod, but stopped. Donovan watched as her eyes went out of focus and she dipped back. Before she could hit the ground, he caught her, wrapping one arm around her shoulders.

"I'll take that as a no," he said.

She blinked, at him, struggling to fight against what ever fog was clouding her mind.

"I just need a minute then I can get up," she said, weakly.

Donovan didn't respond, he knew Carter was strong but didn't plan on having her try to prove it. Not when she already had. Instead he slid his other arm under her legs. Instinctively, she wrapped her uninjured arm around his neck as he lifted her off the ground.