And now she's gone...

Hanssanna

Henrik sat by her side as she laid lifeless in the hospital bed. He clasped her cold limp hand in his larger one and kissed her knuckles.
"I'm sorry, Roxanna, I'm so so sorry. Please come back to me." He whispered, his breath fanning over the back of her hand. "I know John had something to do with this, and I will stop him. I can't let him go on. I know...I know he killed you Rox." He sobbed.

A few silent minutes passed as the consultant wiped tears from his cheeks and sniffed.
"I never got the chance to say so many things. So many things that I should have said all those years ago at University. 1987. The year I...the year I fell in love with you Roxanna MacMillan. I have loved you ever since. Ever since that day in the library. I should have let you kiss me. Why did I shy away?" He stumbled out, wishing that she could hear him. "It all makes sense now. John was jealous. He never wanted us to get together. And now, when we were finally getting closer again, when he knew that I was going to tell you that I still love you, he killed you. He needs to be stopped Roxanna. But I don't know how..." He trailed off with a sigh.

"Well there's nothing he can do to stop me saying this now," Henrik began again but was interrupted by the door opening.
"Henrik, come with me." John's low voice filled the room much to Mr Hanssen's anger.
"No John! I will not go with you. You did this to her!" He shouted and caught sight of Essie stood in the doorway, a frightened look covering her features. He carried on. "You killed her! You are a murderer John! You are not her friend. And you're definitely not my friend. You killed her and I'll never forgive you."
"What are you saying? I did not kill her." He laughed as he lied smoothly. "I did everything that I could. You and her, you're both my closest friends. Why would I do that?"
"Get out!" Henrik yelled.
"I didn't kill her Henrik-" He tried to speak but was cut off by another shout from the consultant.
"I said get out!"

This time Essie stepped forward and looked between the two men before speaking up.
"Professor Gaskell...I think it's best if you just leave." She spoke quietly, barely audible compared to Henrik's shouts just seconds ago.
"Fine I'll go. But I want you both to know, I did not kill Roxanna MacMillan."
Both the nurse and the consultant watched the man skulk out of the room and out of sight before Essie moved towards Henrik.

"He did kill her Essie. I know he did." He weeped as she touched his forearm gently.
"I know he did. And we're going to bring him down. We just need to find out how okay?" The man nodded and sat back down in his chair.
"I loved her. And I never got the chance to tell her."
"She didn't need telling. You showed her on many occasions." Essie tried to reassure the broken-hearted man.
"But now she's gone..." He whispered and the nurse nodded slowly and repeated his words.