Chapter 1: Golden, huh?

You know what I really hate?

Labels.

God, labels suck. Oh, that kids smart and doesn't go to parties. Must be a nerd. Oh, that girl is quiet and doesn't let up to boys that harass her. Must be a prude. Oh, some videos from a trip to San Francisco earlier this summer resurfaced of some dude sucking face with another dude at a party. Must be gay.

Like who cares, right?

Okay, that was sad. Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck. How the fuck did this happen? I mean, I know that only Spencer received the videos and pictures and he's obviously supportive but I don't like that they exist in the first place. He got them from the girl who he was busy with that night; he wanted to document our summer road trip down the coast of California. We were only there for maybe five days. Some five very eventful days. That trip sure was... something but it's behind us now.

But, man that was a great night, one of many on that trip. Spencer was there too but obviously not in the same room and even if he was, seeing as how I was displaying myself in public, he was probably just as incapacitated as me, if not more. He was so fucked up that my discretions went undetected at that party and several others. But of course, he was a little distracted with his own... affairs... to assume that his straight buddy Ryan was doing anything other than girls. That was the first time I'd done anything with a guy though. Sure, I'd thought about guys in that way before but you know the classic "confused" gay kid just thought puberty was doing some weird things with my signals; I could honestly get aroused by a fucking tree. I thought that my body was just confused until I was 16 when I sort of realized that I was being really stupid and for a while now the list of things that would turn me on had finally narrowed down to girls and boys.

And back to the topic of labels, I'm not gay, I'm like bisexual or something. But who the hell should care that I like both girls and boys (but mostly boys)? I can't fucking help it. And when Spencer and I went on that trip I could test out the waters. I did get some that night from the guy in the video but who could blame me; he just had this ass and his fucking hips and ... um, things might have gotten somewhat complicated after that but it's been dealt with. There were a few different guys after that as we made it down the golden coast and I got more comfortable with it. Of course, I tried to switched it up from city to city to make extra sure that Spencer wouldn't get suspicious, but that doesn't matter much now I'd imagine.

~~~

The sound of the alarm creeps into my sleep and wakes me up to face the day I haven't particularly been looking forward to. It was still dark out but Spencer was going to pick me up in an hour for school. I have my own car but its tradition for Spence to be my ride on the first day of school so that we can go to Denny's for a huge breakfast before school and then come back to the same compound to get some Jack in the Box after school. It started when we were in second grade and my dad was too hungover to drop me off so I ran down to the Smith's house, lugging my Spiderman backpack, and begged for a ride to school. Mrs. Smith was more than glad to and when Spencer learned how to drive we just did it on our own. He doesn't live on my street anymore but he's only a few blocks away.

And Spencer. We already talked about what happened this summer after the videos came up. He doesn't mind, not that I would've expected him to. Spencer has been my best friend since we were four. Finding out that I could have feelings for a boy that he could have for a girl wasn't crazy to him, it was just another part of me. That kid is a blessing.

I've gotten my sad sad school shit together and dressed myself decently in some plain black skinny jeans and a casual plaid button up. I walk past the mirror and double take as I realize that my hair has become pretty long and even kind of wavy since I stopped straightening my hair last year. Why didn't anyone tell me? How did I not notice that? Shit. Okay, fine. I feel my ass pocket vibrate and Spencer is outside.

I lightly run over to my bathroom, making sure to not disturb my father's sleep, and dig through the crap that's scattered across my counter and grab a brown headband because I don't have time and I need an unhealthy amount of pancakes at an empty chain diner.

I try to lightly run through the hallway back to the front door when I bump into my dad.

"Woah there, boy," he croaks tiredly.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry, dad," I step back timidly still a little confused why he is up so early. He definitely did some drinking last night; I can still smell it on him. He would normally be sleeping it off right now. "I'm just on my way to school. Spencer's outside."

He looks off to the door and grunts approvingly, "Good kid, that one."

"Yeah."

"Summer over already?"

"Yep." I purse my lips itching with discomfort in the scenario, "It just flew by."

"Well, have a good first day of school son," he really puts effort into smiling at me.

"Thanks, dad," I make my way around the sluggish man and rush over to my stuff by the door.

"Hey, Ry, do you need any money for lunch or something?" I hear from over my shoulder.

"No thanks, dad. I'm fine. I'll see you later." I hurry through the door. Once I get out of the house I see Spencer sitting in his old beat up Corolla flashing one of his killer smiles at me and I fucking need some pancakes.

~~~~

Hello everyone! welcome to my new story lol.

This was just a little sample I guess, the chapters are a lot longer and better, I promise. So yeah I hope you continue to read my story and give it love :/

I would also really appreciate any sort of feedback and if I've made any bad grammar or spelling mistakes feel free to tell me :)

-Mai <3