James

Alicia curses herself as she yanks her body up from the ground. She should not have fallen asleep. She scans the room searching for the sound that woke her from her slumber. She turns, her eyes landing on Elyza's shivering body. The blonde is wrapped tightly in her jacket, and even in the dim light of the library, Alicia can see the glossy sheen covering her companion's face. She presses the back of her hand gently to her cheek and tsks. She touches her forehead.

Elyza is burning up. One of her wounds, maybe both, must have gotten infected as they slept. Alicia panics internally a moment before calming her mind. She rises and makes her way to the library break room. Alicia picks through every locker, every cabinet, and every discarded bag meticulously. She lets out an audible cry of misery as she sinks to her knees in defeat. Elyza needs antibiotics. She knows there are no antibiotics in the first aid kit. She's become more than familiar with its contents these past few hours. She now knows there are no antibiotics in the library. Alicia has only one choice.

Alicia walks solemnly back to the main room of the library. She pauses for a moment, staring at the blonde as she sleeps. Alicia's eyes focus on the contours of her face, the way her nose scrunches randomly while dreaming, the rise and fall of her chest as she breathes deeply, the quick shudders as her body tries to regulate her temperature. She wonders if Elyza would do what she's about to if their roles were reversed. Would she risk leaving the relative safety of the library just to find her some medication? Would she try to save the life of a person she just met?

Alicia shakes her doubts from her mind. Of course Elyza would do it. She already has. The sudden realization gives Alicia the last needed little push, and she closes the remaining distance to the couch. She gently caresses Elyza's cheek, willing her to wake. "Elyza?"

Elyza nuzzles into Alicia's hand as she stirs. "That's nice," she mumbles, and Alicia can't help the soft smile that invades her face. "I'm bloody freezing," Elyza grumbles as she opens her eyes.

"You have a fever," Alicia replies. She presses the back of her hand to Elyza's forehead and tries to hide the concern she feels as her hand heats instantly. "A pretty high one at that. You need antibiotics."

Elyza nods weakly, "There might be some-"

"I checked already," Alicia interrupts shaking her head wearily. "We don't have any, and there aren't any here." She subconsciously looks to the front door of the library, and realization suddenly dawns on Elyza's face.

"Don't," Elyza starts, shaking her head.

"I'm going to go find a pharmacy," Alicia confirms. She stands, ready to grab her supplies and head out. The faster she finds what she needs, the faster she can get back here to Elyza. Alicia may not be a real nurse, but she's knowledgeable enough to realize that an infection from an open wound in this new world needs to be contained as quickly as possible. Alicia's movement is suddenly pulled to a stop by a warm clammy hand wrapping around her wrist.

"Don't, love," Elyza pleads, a look of pure fear and concern bursts from her fiery blue eyes. Alicia blinks and the look is gone. It's replaced by that smirk, though a somewhat subdued version of it. "I'll be fine. It's just a little fever."

"I'd agree with you any other day, but with your wounds..." Alicia shakes her head. "Your body is already fighting so hard. You need the help. Antibiotics will help."

"I don't want you going out there alone," Elyza states firmly.

Alicia removes her wrist from Elyza's grasp and takes a step back. "I'm not asking for your permission, Elyza." She turns her back to the blonde and walks towards the motorcycle sitting in the middle of the library, grabbing a few items before walking back over to the couch. "I've made up my mind. I just wanted to let you know so you didn't freak if you woke up to find me missing."