CHAPTER 4

Robin

7:32pm

"A system cannot fail those it was never meant to protect." W. E.B Du Bois

"Motownphilly's back again, Doin a little East coast flingBoys II Men goin offNot too hard, not to soft

Doin a little East coast fling
Boys II Men goin off
Not too hard, not to soft.
It's long overdue but now
Philly is slammin'
Boyz II Men, ABC, BBD,
The East coast family."

The lyrics to Motownphilly blasted through the speakers as everybody were either dancing by themselves or with a partner, while I stood in the kitchen of this huge condo sipping on a a cup of Sprite..by myself. I didn't know where Lena wondered off to, one minute we were both making our way to the kitchen, then the next minute, she was nowhere to be found.

She probably ditched me for that nigga Zeke.

Speaking of Zeke, he had a nice crib. I hope he put away his valuables because there are alot of people in here that they could easily catch him lacking.

I rolled my eyes placing my red solo cup on the marble island trying to make my way through this crowd. I said a few 'excuse me's' and 'thank you's' until I made it out of the crowd...barely.

There has to be almost 100 people in here. I know he doesn't have this my friends.

As my eyes scanned the large living room I saw a empty couch. I quickly walked to it and sat down.

I exhaled in satisfaction because my feet were staring to hurt from all that standing.

I've only been here 20 minutes and I'm ready to go home.

"Excuse me." I heard a voice say near me.

I looked up to see a dark skin male smirking down at me, "Yeah?"

He licked his crusty lips, "I seen you over here sitting here all alone and I wanted to know if yo fine self wanted to dance with me?" he smiled widely revealing his fake gold grills on the top and bottom row of his teeth.

I tried not to cringe, "No I'm okay." I replied

He smacked his lips before walking away disappearing into the crowd.

"Robin!" I heard my name being called from afar.

I rolled my eyes already knowing who it was. I sat up from my seat to see Lena waving her hand in her direction wanting me to come to her.

I made my way through the crowd again to be presented with a smiling Lena with a red solo cup in her hand.

"Red where were you? I've been looking for yo ass." she spoke loudly over the music sipping on her cup.