Chapter 3

The next day at school, everyone at school was talking about Sean. Rumours were spreading and people were glaring at him in the halls. Twinkie was already ignoring Sean, which didn't help but make Sean feel completely isolated and alone. Unfortunately, he was used to it. School was a drag and Kairi was only able to see him during break, since she and Sean only had one class together. Kairi felt so bad for Sean because he was such a nice guy, yet people only seemed to care about the gossip and the rumours.

Kairi's friends asked a lot of questions about Sean... some even swooning over his handsome appearance. It wasn't very often that Westerners came to their school – so when Sean was already involved in drama and stirring the status quo in the underground racing world, people had a lot to say.

After school, Han was parked outside the gates with his orange and black Mazda RX-7. Kairi quickly bid her friends goodbye and crossed the street to see Han.

"Wao. Kanojo wa kireida." Kairi marvelled at the car. She hadn't seen this beauty in a while. "What brings you out here, Han?" 

"I'm here for Sean. He owes me after he wrecked my car." Han shrugged. Kairi looked back at the car before processing what he had just said

 "Wait, you're not gonna make him- "

"Why not? I need my money, don't I?" Han grinned "Glad you like the car, by the way. I've had tune ups on it and cleaned up some parts. I'll take you for a spin another day, if you want."

Kairi beamed up at the Japanese-American man "Sore wa subarashīdarou!"

Sean suddenly appeared behind them, a puzzled look on his face. Han returned to his emotionless state, one that was reserved for business. "Get in the car, Sean."

"I'll get you your money."

"Why you talking like you have a choice?" Han questioned. Sean sighed and walked around the other side of the car and Kairi gave him a sad smile.

 "You comin' to the garage tonight, K?" Han asked as he got off the side of the car. 

"Sure, why not. Are you bringing Sean with you?" Kairi responded, swinging her backpack on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I got somethin' for him. See you tonight!" Han said, pulling her in for a small hug. Kairi was surprised at his gesture, as he wasn't usually someone to show affection. 

"See you later." 

Later that evening, Kairi made plans with Neela to catch up and grab something to eat. Kairi and Neela used to be extremely close, but after DK met Neela and the tensions in the race world began to rise, the two started to drift apart. 

Kairi pulled up outside an arcade, not surprised to find Han's Mazda parked at the entrance. This is where he would meet with DK to discuss business, which Kairi was definitely not supposed to know about. She hopped out of her Skyline and saw Neela and Sean talking on the other side of the road. 'Sean has no idea what he's getting himself into.' Kairi thought to herself and rolled her eyes. 

Han walked out of the arcade and spotted Sean before he saw Kairi. "You need to quit following me around, kid." Han laughed, making Kairi jump. "What are you doing here?" 

 "I was here to get dinner with Neela, but it looks like were gonna get a rain check on our catch up. DK got something going on, does he?" 

"The question is, when doesn't he? The man is involved in everyone's business." Han scoffed.

Han and Kairi both watched and Neela and Sean crossed the road. Kairi went over to Neela and gave her a hug. 

 "I'm so sorry, Kai! DK doesn't seem to know that I have other friends." Neela spluttered as she pulled away from the hug 

 "Don't worry about it, Neels! I understand. But you can't let that man control your life!" 

 "You know it isn't that easy." Neela mumbled. Kairi flashed her a sad smile as Neela entered the building. 

 "Guess I'll see you two later." Kairi waved at Han and Sean as she slid back into her Skyline. She swiftly switched on the car and revved the engine. Music to her ears! Kairi put her foot on the accelerator and sped down the street. Han chuckled to himself as he got into his own car, a sense of pride washing over him as he watched Kairi drive.