Chapter 4: The Game Night

The week goes by surprisingly quick. It's finally Friday and I get to get away from school. Annie and Finnick invited me to have a game night at Finnick's house, so at least I won't be cooped up in my house this weekend. As the bell rings signaling the end of the school day, I quickly grab my stuff and head for the school exit. As I'm about to go outside I hear a snicker behind me.

"Hey Clove, guess who's named after a plant?"

"Who Glimmer?"

"Katniss!" Then I hear a burst of laughter.

I try to ignore them and keep walking. The school bullies. Glimmer, Clove, Cato, and Marvel. I'm almost outside when Cato blocks the doorway. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Move it!" I say

"Ooh so the plant talks."

I try to push my way through, but then Glimmer comes up and pushes my books out of my hand. "Maybe if you didn't study so hard you would actually enjoy your life." She sneers then walks away.

I lean over go gather up my books, muttering under my breath. I am startled when I see someone bend over to help me. I look over to see blonde hair and blue eyes. Peeta.

"That's fine I've got it." I say.

"I can help." He replies. We gather up the last remaining books and he hands them over to me. "Sorry about them." He says.

"Oh, the Careers? They're not worth it." I reply trying to stay calm.

"Well, I'll catch you around." He says and walks off.

~

As I walk into my house I plop down on the couch, next to Prim. "Hey how was school?" I say "Fine" she replies, watching the TV. Dance Moms. She's obsessed with that show.

"Where's mom?" I say.

"Working, as usual." It's true. Our mom is almost always working. She's a nurse at the new hospital they just opened up a few blocks down. But it's the only way we can afford to be sitting here watching TV right now. Other wise we would be out on the streets.

"Okay. Well will you be alright if I go hang out with my friends to tonight?" I ask.

"Katniss, I'm not a baby. I can stay home alone."

"Okay. Little duck." I then grab my bag and walk out the door before she can protest about me calling her that.

As I get to Finnick's house I notice there are not 2, but 3 cars at the house. I walk up to the front door an hear laughter. I let myself in, as I've been here so many times, I know they won't mind. "They're downstairs Katniss!" I hear Mrs. Odair shout from the kitchen. "Thanks." I reply then head downstairs.

As I walk in I hear Finnick say "Look who finally decided to show up."

"Haha. Very funny. I had to head home first to check on Primrose." I reply.

"Well come on, were playing Skip-Bo. I'll deal you in."

I take a seat next to Annie. I look across the way and as I see who is sitting next to Finnick, the color slowly drains from my face. Peeta Mellark. I think Finnick can see me staring because he speaks up. "This is Peeta, the new boy at school. I invited him."

"Hi." Peeta says.

"Hi neighbor. He moved in across the street from me Finnick." I reply. I can feel a smile creeping into my face. I quickly push it away. As we begin the game, I notice a delicious looking plate of pastries set in the middle of the table. I grab one and take a bite. My mouth is filled with the gooey deliciousness of melted cheese.

"Finnick did your mom make these?" I ask.

"Umm no that was actually me. My family owns the Cafe downtown and I make the pastries." Peeta speaks up. Of course it would be him.

"Oh. Well they are absolutely delicious."

"Thanks." He says not wanting to take the credit.

Once I hear the clock ding 11:00, and us playing this game about 20 times, I know I should head home. "I should get going." I speak up. I start walking towards the stairs.

"Want a ride home?" I hear a voice speak up behind me.

I turn around to Peeta get out of his chair. "No thanks." I say. "It's just around the block."

"I'm heading home anyways, I'd be happy to give you a ride." I contemplate this. He is my neighbor, and even though I don't think my mom would like me riding with a stranger, he's not a complete stranger. I had a nice time tonight with him. "Sure."

We thank Finnick and walk out to Peeta's car. A jeep. I hop into the passengers side. "Where to my lady?" Peeta says as he hops in. I just giggle. Then I mentally scold myself. No one has made me giggle in a long time. The rest of the ride home there is mostly an awkward silence. As I get out of the Jeep I say behind me "thanks for the ride." "No problem."

The house is quite when I walk in, so I go into the living room where I find Prim asleep on the couch. I smile and pull a blanket on her, then kiss her forehead. I go upstairs and slide under my covers, one thought sticks in my mind as I drift into sleep. I think I may be falling for Peeta Mellark.

A/N: what do you think? Sorry it's kind of boring, but I'm trying to not let it go to fast. Jut stick to it. It's going to get very interesting in a couple of chapters. Don't forget to comment and vote. Until next time May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor.