C h a p t e r 2 : T h e F i r s t M i s s i o n

C h a p t e r   2 :   T h e   F i r s t   M i s s i o n

"Edlyn." I felt someone tapping on my shoulder, causing me to nearly jump out of my seat. I turned around and saw Natsu.

"Yes?"

"We're going on a mission. You need money to buy food..." He paused for a moment. He placed his hand on his chin. "Um... And things like that, right?"

He obviously couldn't think of anything else except for food. I stifled a laugh and said, "Uh-huh. But what exactly is the mission?"

"We have to kill several monsters in Mountain Hakobe. They're called Malvagio. Everything else about them is a mystery, because every single person who met the monster was killed."

A girl in short blue hair, Levy, I think, added, "Malvagio means evil in Italian. This quest will be very dangerous.

"How can Natsu, Gray, and I defeat 'several' Malvagios by ourselves?" I doubted. Is Master even going to let us do this on our own? I turned to him, but he didn't seem to be against this idea. "But Master..."

"Trust your teammates and yourself. If you cannot do that, you don't have to go, but if you don't, it'll be difficult for Natsu and Gray to go by themselves," the old mage said.

"I..." I turned to Natsu and Gray.

"Edlyn, it's alright if you don't want to go. Natsu and I will somehow manage it."

"Yeah, Edlyn, if you're tooscared, it's okay."

"I..." I started. "I'll go with you guys! I'll try my best."

"I'll protect you no matter what," Gray said.

"Thank you, Gray-kun..."

I stared into his dark-colored eyes. They were clear as crystals and filled with honesty. Our eyes met, making me blush a little. Then Natsu shoved away Gray. 

"We will protect you!" he corrected Gray. The ice mage just stood there, rolling his eyes.

"I guess we're going then!" I said, and that's when the guild suddenly became silent. Everyone in Fairy Tail was looking at the same place. My attention transferred to the guild entrance.

I saw a girl, maybe a little older than me. Her semi-long, red hair was braided. She was covered in armor. What was shocking, was that she was carrying a large piece of something. It was white and sharp and shaped like a cone. This mysterious something was gigantic; the tip barely touched the ceiling. It was pretty wide too, maybe twenty or more times wider than average men.

"What is that...?" someone asked.

"Oh, it's a nail of the monster I defeated. I decided to bring it back here so we could sell it for money or something," the girl said.

A blue cat flew to me. "Edlyn, that's Erza Scarlet, and she's among the strongest of Fairy Tail..."

My eyes widened. "Really!? How old is she?"

"Seventeen. She's a little bit older than you and Natsu."

"She's intimidating," Gray whispered to me. "No one, no one, messes around with her in this guild. Well, besides Mirajane..."

"Wow... So she's like the Queen Bee, huh."

"Not exactly... She doesn't tell others to do her work for them. Instead, she's very independent," Happy explained to me.

"Oh. I want to be friends with her though!" I said.

"Are you nuts?!" Gray exclaimed. "She doesn't make 'friends', you know. She's independent, remem---"