Part Three

Third person point of view:

Two months later:

"Agent Romanoff to the directors office. Agent Romanoff to the directors office." The red-head that was bloody and bruised, sitting in an interrogation room who barely wanted to live two months ago was an entirely different person now. She bounded up the stairs in her S.H.I.E.L.D hoodie and leggings, not wanting to disappoint her boss by being late. She didn't look at anyone on her way but everyone stared at her, everyone knew who she was. No one had ever made it through the S.H.I.E.L.D academy as fast as she had. 

They all knew her name, but they hardly knew her story, she had already started making enemies, no one at S.H.I.E.L.D trusted her, except for maybe Agent Barton, he always was nice to her, he showed her around the ship, he even ate with her sometimes, she saw him as an ally, but she was wary of him, she knew how quickly alliances could go wrong. When she arrived at Director Carter's office she was approached by a woman with brown hair and hard eyes, she looked around her age and was wearing an officers uniform. She didn't say anything as she showed her to the door but before she opened it she whispered into the red-head's  ear. 

"Just because everyone thinks that you're going to become this great agent, doesn't mean any of us trust you." She whispered menacingly as she opened the door to Director Carter's office.

"Thank you Maria for showing Natasha the way to my office. Natasha I trust that everything went well." Director Carter asked them. The two of them nodded and the brunette named Maria closed the door behind her.  

"So I see you have been making yourself known to everyone here?" The director asked her with a smile as she walked over to look out of her window. 

"It's not on purpose director."

"Natasha, it's OK. I knew bringing you in would create waves, it's not a surprise, but that's not what I brought you in to talk about today. I need to know if I can trust you."

"Director..."

"What is it you were sent to do? What were you doing when Agent Barton captured you?"

"I was on loan to the highest bidder. They paid me to do their dirty work for them. I have a very specific skill set."

"Yes Ms. Romanoff, but I need to know what you were doing that night, and who you were working for."

The young woman took a deep breath and began. "I was sent to retrieve information, from the Hungarian government and take out a secretary while I was there."

"A secretary. What could be so important about them?" The director asked without looking away from the window.

"They weren't actually a secretary. I dont know, I didnt ask many questions. I was getting paid big time for the job."

"What was your target's name, assuming they arent already dead."

"Benjamin Rush. A geeky type, slight build, strawberry blond, tall. That's about all I know, from what I heard, he's a computer wiz."

"It seems a little below your pay grade Ms. Romanoff, why were you sent to take him out?" The director asked while coming over to her desk.

"They told me to prepare for either retribution or a good fight, he apparently has some sort of protection. I'm expendable, I don't matter, plus they knew I could handle myself."

"You think you could protect him? They sent another hit out on the same secretary. That was a test and might I say agent Romanoff, you passed beautiful." The director said as she pulled a laminated card out of her drawer and passed it to her.

"Protection wouldn't be a problem. Would you want it face to face or from afar?" The red head asked as she looked at the card she was passed.

"Right now from afar, that could change." The older woman said with a smirk as she saw the other woman's reaction.

"Yes Ms. Romanoff, this means you are a probationary member of S.H.I.E.L.D, that is your ID card. Make sure you don't lose it."

"Ma'am, why are you trusting me?"

"Because Ms. Romanoff you deserve it. You may have your secrets, but that doesnt mean anything to me, I have my secrets too. I believe that you were just working for the wrong people and now that you see the light, you will do everything in your power to make it right." She said with a sad smile, like she was reminded of someone as she said it.

"Agent Romanoff you might want to stop staring at your card and get ready for your mission. Your partner is waiting for you downstairs, I think you and him will get along just fine."