Twenty-two: Happy Ever Afters

"I need to catch my breath, it's like the air's been stolen from my chest," whispered Nina. "Does this mean...does this mean I can go to law school?"

Maggie gasped. "And I can get a medical license?"

"I can reinvest in the spice trade and ruin my ex-husband's profit margin?" asked Madame.

"Would you let me manage the royal finances again?" begged Delilah.

"I can open that school," said Julia.

"I can run the costume department for the national theater," squealed Vivi.

Belle and Ruby fist bumped. "We're off to the Egypt to be grave robbers, I mean, archeologists, now that the rich men will have to actually pay us for artifacts," said Belle.

"How can we ever thank you, my dear, sweet boy?" Julia asked, in tears.

"Why would you thank me?" the prince asked. "I didn't actually do anything. You yourselves fought and defeated Il Répoute through cunning, teamwork, a carriage and some well-aimed cannon fire. I am simply reversing an unjust law, which was brought to my attention by you, and I am taking advantage of my wife's royal position to do it."

"Oh. That's true. Hug?"

He enveloped her in his ripped arms, the scent on his fresh sweat and pheromones sending her reeling into dangerous fantasies territory.

"Hugs...all around?" asked Vivi.

"Our wildest dreams," sniffed Aurora. "Equality. So unimaginable this morning when I woke up. I never even thought to wish for it. I was stuck on secret love-bowers and kisses under waterfalls. It never occurred to me to want to be a sailor in the Navy."

The queen tiptoed fearfully to the forefront of the assembly. "Is that all? Is the prophecy done? We really do have to get back for his sitting."

"Indeed, my queen," said the king. "The prophecy has come true."

***

The prince—whose name in case you've been wondering is Tristan Hunter-Chase VanSchlopti—gave hugs and possibly a few kisses all around, while Madame dragged Nigel off to a dark corner, Captain Hips signed Aurora on as First Mate (although their fiery encounters 'neath the sheets soon had them tying the knot and honeymooning on a rum-stocked tropical island), Maggie and Nina enrolled for higher education in the newly created university of the land, Delilah was hired to watch the royal coffers of Darndiddle, and although the king and queen of Maskulinia returned home empty handed that day, their hearts were full of hope for the future for both kingdoms.

As for Il Répoute, he was reduced to selling fake hour-glasses in filthy alleyways after serving time in prison for usurping the throne (despite his near confession to the murders of the royal family, no definitive proof against him was found, the scoundrel). His son Seth went on to manage the Enchanted Bushes Brothel when Madame became too busy with international trade. It soon became a gentlemen-only club (entertainment for men, by men), and his personal specialty was bondage spanking.

But what about Anne Phoebe-Anne and Tristan Hunter-Chase? Let's just say, Madame had to explain a few things to them. In fact, after many lengthy discussions, quite a few explicitly drawn diagrams, a couple of anatomically correct dolls, and finally, a hands-on intervention at midnight a month later, within a year the queen of Darndiddle gave birth to a rosy cheeked, bald baby girl with quite the prophecy of her own.

Prick and ivory tower might have been mentioned by the soothsayer, along with great swordswoman and save a damsel in distress.

And a Happy Ever After was had by all.

*** The End! ***