Chapter 3

Sunday morning her Mother comes to her room and gives her orders to start packing. "Ye better get ready tae leave, we leave directly after breakfast." She nods and sees that her things are packed and ready for Henry to load her bags. During breakfast, she watches Mira and Seth and she sees how they look at each other. So...Torin was correct. What an interesting weekend... When they reach their home later, she's tired of the trip. Tired of her Mom's nagging about her obesity, her hair that's too long for a fat girl like her, what college she must go to and what she must study. Her Dad sees her tired looks and stops her Mom from going on. "Mildred leave the child be. We're all tired efter the trip and Eva needs tae pack her school bag and dae some homework afore tomorrow." She smiles at her Dad and mouths thank you to him. Fortunately, her Mother decides to leave Eva alone for today.
Monday morning Eva missed breakfast and for the rest of the week she only has dinner. After two weeks, Eva starts to feel the impact of all the missed meals and Friday afternoon she passes out in their kitchen. There's no one home except Mira who's early from work with the excuse that she's going away with a friend for the weekend. When she enters the kitchen and sees Eva on the floor, she panics and calls the EMT's. Eva is taken to hospital and after a lot of blood-and other tests her doctor says she has hyperthyroidism or in plain English an under active thyriod. It's the main reason she cannot get the weight off, the always tiredness, the depression and mood swings. In addition, because she hasn't eaten properly for the past two weeks her blood sugar dropped and she fainted. Her Dad comes to fetch her at the hospital and after she gets her new medication and a diet she needs to follow, they return home. Her Mother is not very happy or compassionate with her. "Ye ken Evanora I dinnae hav time tae nanny ye. Ye ar auld enough tae ken ye should eat more healthy and proper meals. I hope that this diet and medication, will help ye tae look less like a stuffed sausage. This weekend ye're on yer own, yer Dad and I hav a weekend planned for ages and we're nae gaun tae postponed it for yer nonsense. All the staff is off too, so see that ye eat properly." Eva doesn't even answer; she just leaves for her bedroom. Her Dad comes to say goodbye and makes sure she has all the emergency numbers on her phone and enough cash in case she needs anything. They have left by four o' clock and as she lay on her bed her phone rings.
"Hullo it's Eva." She didn't look at the caller ID so she had no idea who it is until he speaks.
"Hullo Eva, it's Torin, I heard from Mira that ye fainted and landed in hospital, ar ye okay now?" She can't think why he would bother to call; he's only her teacher after all. "Och hiya Torin, aye just a little mishap. I'll study for Monday's test and I'll be at school, naething major tae fash aboot." He sighs. "Eva I told ye before nae tae lie tae me. Unfortunately, for ye, Mira already told me the diagnosis. I also heard yer parents arnae home 'til Sunday and I ken Mira is with my impossible twin for the whole weekend. I need tae talk tae ye so I'm caming over in half an hour." She does not know what to say. "Um ... I ...I dinnae ken if it's a good idea Torin. Ye can talk tae me over the phone as well." He chuckles. "Eva I promise I will behave like a gentleman, ye hav naething tae fash aboot, but I need tae see ye when I speak tae ye." She blushes and is glad he cannot see her now. "Um ... I dinnae imply that ye willnae behave like a gentlemen Torin, that is the least of my worries, but ye ar my teacher and if somebody ken ye visited while my parents ar away, they will see that I'm expelled from school and ye will be in the gossip mill and maybe even fired." He laughs again. "Nobody will even ken I was there if ye dinnae tell them Eva." It is her turn to laugh. "It shows how wee bit ye ken about this town Torin. Ye ar a MacKensie from Thornton and I am a Blackhood, people ar always watching tae see when we will dae something they can gossip aboot. Yer car is nae missed that easily and ye will hav tae pass by several houses of kids in my school. Word will get out that my parents and house staff wasnae here the whole weekend and ... well ... ye ken what will happen." He sighs again; it is something she picks up that he does very often when he speaks to her. "I willnae cam with my Porsche Eva, dinnae fash aboot it okay see ye in a wee bit." Twenty minutes later, she hears a motorcycle and when she looks through her window, she sees a black road bike stopping at the front door.