In The Light Of

Hiccup frowned, hood over his head, hands stubbornly in his pockets, ear buds shouting nonsense in his head. Why did he have to be here? He never even met this girl before. But his mom was her godmother, and his family would be taking care of her for a while.

He didn't even know the girl and he hated her. He was losing his game room because she needed a room. His game room! His stuff was being moved to the basement. The cold, echoing, dark basement with a single pathetic light dangling from a thick wire.

His green eyes sparkled at the sight of his beloved mother. Her soft face beaming at him and his dad, her eyes sparkling with love.

When she finally made her way over, Hiccup hugged her. "Hiccup!"

"Hi, mom," he chuckled, lowering the volume in his ear buds. "Hope you didn't miss me too bad."

She pulled away, laughing at his joke, and rested a tender hand on his cheek. He leaned into the warmth, smiling.

Stoick then picked her up, pulling her into a loving kiss. They pulled away seconds later, and his mom gestured to the girl Hiccup's age.

"Stoick, Hiccup, this is Emmie, my goddaughter. Emmie, this is my husband Stoick and son Hiccup."

"Hi," her little voice squeaked, but no one heard it over the background noise.

"Nice to meet you, lass!" Stoick bellowed, reaching over to pull her into a hug, but Emmie did something Hiccup had never seen before.

She jerked her arms over her head, whimpering and curling her shoulders inward, bending her back to make herself smaller.

Stoick paused with a frown, glancing at his wife's solemn expression. "Val," he started.

"Emmie's parents are unable to take care of her until the courts settle things," she vaguely explained. "Emmie, relax, no one is going to hurt you."

Once Emmie calmed down- and after receiving many odd stares- they made their way to the car. His parents got the front seat while he and Emmie got the back.

"That's my spot," came the frail voice.

Hiccup didn't understand what she said over his music. He took a bud out and asked, "Huh?" from his seat in the car.

"That's my spot. The back left. I always sit there."

"Can't you sit on the right?" he snapped.

"Hiccup!" his mother scolded.

With a huff, Hiccup scooted over, "Mi'lady."

"T- thank you."

****************

Emmie was annoyingly quiet and attention hogging. His parents dotted on her, making Hiccup take care of her at school, show her around town, introduce her to his friends, make her happy, bla bla bla. Hiccup was sick of it!

And worse, Emmie did the weirdest and creepiest things. She woke up early every morning- even on weekends- and made everyone breakfast. She always sat quietly in her chair. The first time it happened, his father asked, "Emmie, aren't you going to eat?" since her place was empty.

Emmie frowned, confused, but shook her head. "N- no."

"Make yourself something to eat, too, dear," his mother told her.

"N- no, t- thank you. I'm g- good."

"Emmie, you need to eat."

"I did."

"You did? When?"

"Last night. Remember?"

"Emmie, you didn't even eat half of your plate. Eat some breakfast."