06. MONDAY

"Check."

Jisung was down to only one pawn and a king.

"You're dead."

Chenle grinned at Jisung whist the latter scrunched his nose upon deep thought.

"Down to your last pawn."

The one close to victory pulled his sleeves up to his elbows, resting his clasped hands on the table filled with the remains of deceased chess pieces.

"What's wrong with the pawn?"

Jisung raised a brow, batting not an eye on the boy who sat opposite (thinking of seeing Jisung loosing and paying for the food they'd just bought right in that cafe they decided to settle in.).

"It's useless now." Chenle said, watching Jisung move his pawn up, a step beyond the end of the board.

Jisung laughed, looking up to eye his opponent with a smile that confused the older.

"You'd be surprised, what a pawn could do."

Chenle looked at the board, his king surrounded by pieces. There was only one opening to his right, where there was Jisung's last-man-standing a step before the board.

Having no choice, Chenle moved the king to the left. What could he do? The rest of his pieces were blocking the way, but that's a matter of defense.

Then Jisung smiled.

What?

The younger took his queen from the edge of the table and-

"Check mate."

Chenle leaned back in utter shock.

"When a pawn reaches the end of the board, it becomes a queen."

"And don't forget, it isn't always best to surround a free king."

Jisung stood up, taking his bag from the chair and hiking it up his shoulder.

"Don't sulk about it too much. It's on me."

Jisung took just about an amount from his pocket and setting it in the middle of the game board.

And with that, he left.

Leaving Chenle in utter shock.

How did I loose against a single piece?

In fact the weakest one.

"I've got better things to worry about."

The boy sighed, standing up from his seat and pulling his backpack that sat under the table.

He quickly made his way to the cafe door, taking a quick glance at the queen that disoriented his plan of winning.

He smiled to himself before opening the door and heading out to some place else.

Well played, Park. Well played.