Chapter 2

Percy woke up promptly at five thirty that morning, replaying yesterday's events in his mind. Everything had happened so fast. The note, Dan-Atlas's visit, then Thaddeus's plan. Percy's life had been a simple one. Wake up then go to work then read, then bed. Rinse and repeat. His life was exciting or glamorous like Charlie's who was a dragon tamer, or Bill's who was a curse breaker, or even the twins who he had heard opened a joke shop. But it was his and he liked it. Because unlike his brothers he was okay with being seen as boring. But now that was all changing. He had been caught up in something more bizarre than he could have ever dreamed. With a sigh he heaved himself out of bed. Usually he was full of energy in the mornings but today he felt like he hadn't slept in years. He choked down a cup of tea and a peice of buttered toast then shrugged on his robes before throwing floor powder into the grate.

       As soon as he stepped into the ministry plaza he was greeted by Rhodes's smiling face. "Oh good you're here early. There's a stack of case files on your desk, go over them. By the time you're done you should be able to tell me their date of birth, wand size, favorite color, etc. I've got to get something to drink other than tea, I'll be back in an hour."

Percy nodded hurrying to the elevator as he passed Rhodes, "Understood." However as the doors closed he realized with a jolt that his father stood there staring hard at the elevator buttons.

His father's hand shook as he reached out toward the button panel. "What fl-floor?" Percy silently hated himself as his father's voice cracked.

He desperately wanted to reach out and tell his dad he was sorry. To cry as his mum held him rocking in her arms but he couldn't. Not now, not after everything he'd done. They wouldn't take him back after he turned his back on them. And he doubted they'd understand if they knew the real reason he left. How could they? "Third." he whispered back finally. The rest of the elevator ride was silent and filled with so much tension that Percy could have sworn it was visible. He burst out as soon as the doors opened wide enough for him to fit through. However as he turned the corner to his office he caught a glimpse of the hurt look and the self loathing that squirmed in his stomach grew. Coiling around the pride and dignity that kept him from telling the truth.

         Sighing at the pounding headache he sat down and looked at the heaping piles of papers, each encased in manilla envelopes with a picture of a different Horseman on the front. Henley Reeves, a redheaded woman with bright green eyes and a mysterious smile and a wicked talent for hexing. Jack Wilder, he looked young but according to his file he had scored the highest score ever recorded for the Tranfiguration N.E.W.T.'s and had been busted for his pickpocket tendencies no less than twenty three times, each of which he escaped. Merritt McKinney who had been offered a position as Ilvermorny's Charms Professor. And last but not least J. Daniel Atlas, a certified control freak who also happened to be a genius in both muggle and wizard subjects. They all attended Ilvermorny but their years only sometimes overlapped with McKinnley being the eldest. They were each from a different house as well. Cold realization seeped through Percy. These people had no business forming a so called 'gang' let alone knowing each other. Thaddeus had been right, there was someone else, there had to be.

Rhodes strode in smelling heavily of coffee and something sour. If Percy had to guess it was cheap elf made wine. "Alright Percy, pop quiz where was Hennley born?"

"Louisanna in a small Wizarding town of Hallowtree. Listen Mr. Rhodes-"

Rhodes twitched and frowned, "Just Rhodes."

"Listen Rhodes I think Thaddeus was right. There has to be someone else-"

Rhodes held up a hand, "Percy Thaddeus is getting to you just like he got to me. Once he gets to you you'll start to see connections that aren't there. You'll read too deep into clue that don't exist. People get hurt that way."

"But M-Rhodes the evidence is right here! In the files you gave me!" Percy shouted slapping the desk in frustration. He leaned in, "It's not what is there it's what isn't." he hissed. "Before October 22nd of 1992 these people didn't know each other. I think someone brought them together. The fifth Horseman is real."

Rhodes's face paled and he snaetched up the files raking his eyes over them. "You're wrong."

"What?" Percy's voice echoed through the spacious office. "What do you mean I'm wrong? I can't be! Let me see!" he leaned in looking for what supposably connected the four strangers. They had different hobbies, different friends, what else could it be?

"I'm sorry about this Percy." Rhodes said and Percy barely caught sight of the other man's wand before a inky blackness washed over him. "Obliviate."

Percy woke up with his head throbbing. He looked around confused, it was evening so why was he in bed with his robes on? Had he laid down for a quick nap and overslept? He didn't remember getting home from work, in fact the last thing he remembered was the elevator ride with his father. He started as a figure approached. "I'm assuming by the way you're gripping your head it hurts?" Atlas said casually sitting on the trunk at the end of Percy's bed.

"How did you get in here?! Why are you here?"

"I'm here because you know something you shouldn't. I'm here to make sure you don't remember."

"What do you mean don't remember? Remember what?"

"It's irrelevant. So are you going to tell me why you don't speak to your family anymore? You could have told him today? Your father I mean. You could have told him that the reason you betrayed your own family so easily was because you thought they would despise you for being gay."

Percy jumped to his feet as his heart pounded. "I'm not-don't say that!" he screamed shoving Atlas. "You know nothing about me!"

"On the contrary I know everything. Like I said you interest me." Atlas said moving to the window. "Until next time." Percy blinked and went to ask what that meant but Atlas was already gone. Percy ran to the window and looked down but the alleyway beneath his flat was empty. Atlas had disappeared in the literal blink of an eye leaving more questions than answers. What did he not remember? Why did Atlas know so much about him? And why was he so interested in Percy in the first place?