2. dumpster diving

the next morning i was over at lips house to help him with breakfast

i was going to drive him to work but we had to make sure xan and liam got breakfast.

"what's with the uniform, GI joe? i thought you were off for the summer?" lip asked carl.

"that's what i thought too." emma said letting out a sigh.

"yeah, aren't you supposed to be "at rest"?" liam asked his older brother.

"at ease. and there is no ease for a solider who's west point bound." carl said.

"wait, you're applying to west point?" emma asked him as carl nodded.

"debs, can you pass me the milk? debs." carl said but she seemed distracted by the papers in her hands.

"eighty cents. that's how much women make on the dollar compared to men. and if you're a woman or color, 65 cents. this is a sexist shit nugget of a country. don't you forget that." debbie ranted.

"oh, debs! thank god you're not working. hey, i need a favor." kev said as he walked through the door.

"hey, kev." i said.

"hey mel. i gotta take v to this nursery school tour. can you watch the girls for like an hour? they can't come. thanks." kevin said going to pass the diaper bag to debbie.

"why are you speaking to me?" debbie asked him as lip and i looked at each other with a grin.

"cause you're debbie." kevin replied.

"no. why are you speaking to the only woman in the room, kevin ball?" debbie asked him.

"i'm standing here too, debs." i spoke up.

"why is childcare a woman's job? let me tell you why. did you know that the average american man works about 17.5 hours a week doing unpaid home labor? cooking, cleaning. while woman, however, spend about 28.4 hours a week. now, considering the fact that the average american makes 26.82$ an hour, that's 40,000 a year that women are not getting paid to cook, clean, and wipe baby asses." debbie said.

"so you can't do it?" kevin asked as debbie groaned.

"come on, franny, lets oppose patriarchal oppression. yeah!" she said walking over to her daughter.

"lip, just an hour, man. please." kevin said.

"no." lip replied.

"just one hour." kevin said.

"i can't. i would. i gotta head to a meeting before work. i'm sorry." lip replied.

"hey, mel." kevin said looking over at me.

"sorry kev, i have to gotta go bring emma to an open house." i said.

"carl! my man." kevin said looking over at him.