Chapter 17: Alastair

The limo came to a halt as the tinted window separating the limo lowered. Devin turned around to face us. He gave us a smile.

   "Here we are, Master Alastair. Mr. Thompson will be waiting for you abroad the Stella," he said as he began to get out of the limo. I downed my wine, put out my joint, and returned the glass to the bar. Lilah stood up as the door opened. Devin took her hand and helped her down as I followed. She stood and watched me as I patted Devin on the shoulder.

   "Thank you, Devin. Go back home. I'll call you when we're leaving LA," I said. He smiled at me as he bowed then returned to the limo.

   "The Stella?" Lilah asked as I took her hand and guided her to my private hangar.

   "Italian for star," I explained as we closed distance with the massive jet, fit for 18 passengers. It was painted matte black with tinted windows. Along the tail read Stella di LeBlanc in gold lettering. 

   Jonathan Goldsworth, my pilot, stood at the bottom on the stairwell. He smiled as he saw us. I took Lilah's hand and made our way over there. I could feel her hand become sweaty as we neared the plane.

   "Couldn't we have found a place in the city?" She asked as she gripped my arm. I smiled.

   "Afraid of heights kitten?"

   "No," she said quietly. I knew she was lying by the way she gulped as we neared the jet.

   "Lying is bad, you know. God is against it."

   "You're religious?"

   I smiled at her. "Are you?"

   "Not since my grandmother," she whispered quietly as we finally made it to the jet. I reminded myself to ask her about that later. Jonathan smiled at us as he gestured for us to go aboard. I allowed Lilah to go first and once she was aboard, she stopped as she looked around.

   The interior was mostly hand carved mahogany and white leather. There were 5 bedrooms in case I wanted guest, 3 bathrooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a living room, a game room, and of course the flight cabin. Once you walked aboard, you entered the living room with floor mounted white leather couches and a 80 inch flat screen TV mounted to the wall. The walls were dark mahogany while in others it was cherry wood. As Jonathan closed the door behind me, Lilah was bending over to peek out the windows.

   "This thing is so cool!" She exclaimed as she ran down the hall where the bedrooms were.

   I felt someone tap my shoulder and I turned to see Jonathan. I smiled at him.

   "We will be leaving in 10 minutes, sir," he signed. As long as I knew him, he had been deaf. He had once told me that he was born hard of hearing and gradually went deaf later in life. I often felt sorry for him but he seemed so happy.