Chapter 7

Cat Noir walked away from the entrance to the ballroom. Every guest at the castle wanted to talk to him. Sure, it's nice to be appreciated. He thought as he walked to the back of the courtyard, which was lined by bushes. But it'd be nicer to be appreciated by friends. He went to the far left. A large courtyard was separated from the party courtyard by a long red rope. While no one was looking, Cat Noir jumped over the rope. He quickly ducked behind the bushes that lined the back of the courtyard. I wish Ladybug had come. Cat Noir thought as he walked down a narrow path lined by bushes on both sides. The path was long, but Cat Noir enjoyed the walk. He turned left and continued down, turning right later on. Then the path turned left once more. After a while the path came to an abrupt stop. What the? Cat Noir thought. This can't be the end. It must lead somewhere. Curiosity winning, Cat Noir used his stick to vault himself over the wall. He landed in a garden that was surrounded on all sides by hedges. A large fountain was running in the middle of the garden, making the comforting sound only falling water could make. A large oak tree in one corner had a swing dangling from it. Flowers were everywhere, and a koi fish pond was in one corner; a bench sat near it.

Cat Noir went to the big oak tree, used his stick to reach the nearest branch, and began to climb. He went as high as he could go, then he sat on a sturdy branch. The canopy opened at the spot where he was sitting, and he was able to see a view of the whole castle and its grounds. Ladybug, I wish you were here to see this. Cat Noir thought sadly. This party would have been fun if you were here. I did have some fun with Marinette though. She's a good friend. Cat Noir sat there, his legs dangling from the tree limb. Why stop the fun now though? Why not just go and have more fun with her? Encouraged by this thought, Cat Noir jumped off the tree, leaped over the hedge, and ran back down the narrow path to the party.

He entered the ballroom, which was still crowded with dancers. A slow song was playing. Cat Noir made his way through the crowd of dancing couples. He saw Alya and Nino dancing, so he figured Marinette must be close by. He looked around and saw her dancing with Luka. His stomach twisted in a knot. Why in the world is Marinette dancing with Luka, and to a slow song? I thought that was our thing! Cat Noir shook his head, not believing what he was thinking. Marinette and I are just close friends, it doesn't matter who she dances with. We are just friends. Nothing more. Friends. Just friends. His flow of thoughts paused as he looked at them. What if he tries to steal her away from being my friend? Then who would I have? I can't let that happen! Cat Noir marched over to them. The song ended, and they came to a stop. Marinette was smiling and saying something to Luka, which made Cat Noir's stomach twist into a bigger knot. You're being ridiculous. They're just talking. Why would I even care who she talks to. We're just friends. Even though he said this to himself, Cat Noir didn't stop walking toward them. When he reached them Luka gazed at him with respect, and Marinette turned around, looking surprised to see him.

"Cat Noir?" She asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing much, I just wanted to know if you want to dance again, seeing as we had so much fun the first time."

"Actually, I was..."

Cat Noir interrupted. "Great, come on!" He took her hand, and gently pulled her away from Luka. Once he was satisfied with the distance between them, he pulled her into his arms, and they started dancing.

"Are you okay, Cat Noir? Is something wrong?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, totally fine. Why would you ask something like that?"

"I don't know. You just don't seem yourself."

"No, I'm fine. I guess I just wish Ladybug was here."

Marinette's gaze fell. "Oh yeah, Ladybug didn't come." They danced in silence, swaying in time to the rhythm. Marinette seemed content, and Cat Noir started to relax. What in the world was wrong with me back there? He thought as they danced. Well, she's with you now, might as well have fun until Luka tries to steal her back. Wait, what in the world am I saying? Cat Noir shook the crazy thoughts out of his head.

Marinette saw. "Do you have fleas?"

"What? No. I never get fleas. I'm Cat Noir. The coolest cat in all of Pari!"

Marinette laughed. "Sure, just keep telling yourself that."

Cat Noir smiled and was able to fully relax and be himself.

"Hey, can I show you something, Marinette?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"A surprise."