Prologue

As a non-native I write to improve my English. This might be a mixture of different countries' orthography and grammar. Please feel free - if you like - to point out mistakes so that I can correct them. Enjoy!

"I love you" my boyfriend whispered into my ear. One arm wrapped around me, he kissed me softly as we walked into the café. It was easy, we had been a couple ever since the first year of college and we were expected to last - I was expecting the same.

The start of the last year of college and I was ready, ready to go back again and fall into the routine of going to class, writing a paper or reading a book. The whole summer I had spent interning at a newspaper which had mostly consisted of me running after people as they ignored me or ordered me to get them coffee. I learned though, I learned just by watching them doing their thing. That time was over now and I was back on campus again.

I ordered, two coffees, black. After paying I sat down on the bench next to my boyfriend and cuddled into his side as I waited for the coffee to cool down enough so I wouldn't burn my tongue. "I really despise the courses I had to take this semester" he said while I watched another couple a few steps away, just ordering their drinks as they held hands. They looked happy, they seemed to be comforted by each other's presence, calm and content.

There was jazz music playing, it was loud enough to fill the silence but quiet enough to not interrupt a conversation. And it helped to mute all the other people talking. "But you did all the fun stuff last year after all, remember?"

"I know. It just sucks anyway."

"It does" I agreed and saw the other couple sitting down in the nook of the big window, there were lots of pillows and a nice blanket I used to wrap us in. He held his boyfriend's hand as they cuddled into each other, they never let go off each other.

"Do you see them?" I asked and turned to look at my boyfriend.

"Yeah, they seem so happy it almost annoys me" he commented and I nodded. It was almost unbearable to see the love they had for each other. Whatever we shared, it seemed to pale in comparison.

"Young love" he muttered and I breathed in deeply, wishing that our relationship was still that exciting. And at times it was - just not constantly, we had gotten used to each other and it was just different.

"Do you want to go to that thing at the book store on Friday night?" I asked.

"You mean the reading with the Professor?"

"Yeah, that one. Are you interested? I'd really like to go, just not with Rachel and her new boyfriend, it'd be totally awkard."

"True." He sighed and lifted his mug. "I'll go with you, maybe we can head into the pub next door afterwards for a beer or two."

"Sounds good to me. It's a live music night, I think."

"Even better."

I picked up my mug and took the first sip. The coffee was just the right temperature to drink.

***

"The two chapters for next weeks, okay?" Professor Mueller picked up his own book and was out of the room before one of us students had even packed up. There was no room for further questions - whatever we wanted from him, we'd have to go to this office for, make an appointment or ask the others in the course. It was annoying.

I slung my backpack over my shoulder and headed down the hallway, out of the building and down the path leading towards the library. I walked around that building and down another few paths until I got to the café, past that one and another ten minutes later I was unlocking the door of the apartment I shared with two other girls.