Chapter 1

It was a beautiful and peaceful night in Equestria. Princess Luna had finished her royal duties for the night, and had called her son, Shooting Star, to her side. Shooting Star was a full grown stallion now, who was also an alicorn like his mother. One of the only male alicorns in Equestria, he bore a navy blue coat, along with a bright turquoise mane and tail; although not a flowing style, like his mother's. In addition, his cutie mark was the constellation of Orion. "Come my son. I will show you tonight all of the many constellations, and their placements in the sky", said Princess Luna. Shooting Star could barely contain his excitement. "I can't wait to get going. Let's go!", said Shooting Star with enthusiasm, spreading his massive wings and taking to the sky. Yes, he had grown into a very large stallion indeed. A few inches taller than Luna, and gifted with a bigger wingspan than her as well. Therefore he was often a good few wing beats ahead of her, whenever they were flying. "Shooting Star, will you please slow down?", called Luna from a distance. Star, as Shooting Star was called for short, settled on a night cloud, allowing Luna to catch up. "I feel as though it is constant now, that I need to remind you of your immense wingspan", said Luna, as she settled on the cloud next to him. "Sorry, Mom. I can't help it I was born gifted with such a wonderful wingspan", replied Star. Luna chuckled lightly and replied, "It is alright, my son. I was very eager to learn how to fly myself, when I was a filly. And from that day, I have always taken great pleasure, in flying", replied Luna.

      The pair paused and stared at an empty space in the sky. "Uh, why are we over here, Mom? Aren't all the stars already out?", asked Star. "Yes they are, my son, as they always are every night. However, you need to know how to keep the constellations in order. You must especially be wary of the Lupus and Ursas, both major and minor. They can get to be bad tempered at times, and if you are not careful, one well-placed swipe of a paw...", Luna trailed at the end of her sentence, hesitant to finish it. Star put a reassuring wing around Luna's shoulders, and finished the sentence for her. "I know. One well-placed swipe of a paw- from a Lupus or an Ursa, if I'm not careful- can lead to my horn being broken off. Broken off so badly, that I would no longer be able to perform magic with it, or any kind of spells. And of course, even though my horn is natural bone...*sigh* unless I got some sort of working horn graft, my horn would never grow back. I will be careful, especially around the Ursas and Lupus, Mom".

"Very good, Star. Now, there is another subject I must discuss with you, of great importance. It is the eclipse. A solar eclipse is coming after the next full moon. It causes all alicorns, including myself, to lose control of our powers", said Luna. "That's terrible! How long will that last, before we alicorns will have complete control of our powers again?", asked Star. "I'm afraid for several hours. However, it is only the worst, when the eclipse is at its apex.