Chapter 2: Candy Hearts

;)

        Please vote & leave feedback if you enjoy this chapter! Your support means the world to me!

* * *

          Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. "This is boring." Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. "How long do we have to sit in here?" Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch--

            I snatched the bag of popcorn away from Anna, leaving my best friend dumbfounded, then returned to my high-tech, x-ray binoculars.

            "What was that for?"

            "You were chewing like a cow." I stuck my hand into the bag, stuffing my mouth with the buttery goodness until my cheeks were filled like a chipmunks. "I'm neater," I said, smiling around a mouthful of popcorn.

            Anna hit my in the arm. Raising an eyebrow, I hit her back.            

            "Ow!" She rubbed her arm. "That's not fair, I hit you like a girl and you hit me like a beefy man!"

            A small beeping noise came from my belt, meaning one of the censors by the library had gone off. "There was movement by the entrance." I brought my binoculars to eyes. "I have to check the entrance frequently. Timing is everything."

            "You're so passionate right now. I love it! I've never seen you like this. You're always so grumpy and negative. Extra offense towards you, because I'm your BFF and I'm allowed to be mean to you, and because it's damn true. " Anna cheered with her hands. "Go, Violet! Go! Happiness, go!"

            I rolled my eyes. "I'm not that excited. It's just that these things move fast, and if I don't keep moving, I could miss my chance to run into this Frank character. " I handed her back the popcorn and she happily started eating it again. I brought the binoculars back to my eyes and scanned the library. It was practically empty, besides a few couples hanging out side-by-side at a table. It was Valentine's Day, after all. "It's broad daylight, and although it's a myth that vampires can't walk outside during the day, they love the element of surprise. It's almost dusk, we just have to be patient--"

            My phone buzzed, interrupting my thoughts.

            Anna and I stared at it. I swallowed hard. There was a preview of the contact on the screen, which I had temporarily added to my phone, said "V", but the text message was not visible.

            "Are you going to see what they said?" Anna wiggled her eyebrows. "Presumably... what he said?"

            Snatching the phone, I punched in my passcode, which not even Anna knew, and read the text message. How old are you? -V

            I tore my gaze away from the phone, then turned the car on. "Mission, abort. I'm abandoning the client."

            "Why?"

            "They're demanding my age."

            She motioned for the phone and I handed to her. She read the text, mouthing the words. Then her fingers moved so quickly over the keyboard, even I, with my abnormally fast reflexes, couldn't stop her.

            "Hey!" I shouted, grabbing my phone. "What did you say to him?"

            "Easy, I just said, 'you first'. Getting a little flirty. Got to keep them guessing. Sheesh, they just asked you a simple question. It wasn't even demanding." Anna's eyebrows crunched together. She reached over and turned the car off. "Ok, what's going on?"