WATKINS BAY

Katie's Story

Growing up on Watkins Bay probably holds the best memories of my childhood. Days spent exploring the beach and hiding out in hidden coves, imagining pirates and treasure chests and begging my brother to have pretend sword fights with me!
There was always something different to do or a new place to explore. It's where my fascination with water began and all things marine.
As I hit my teenage years that fascination only grew stronger as did my love of Mako Sharks, I even had my brother hooked on them as well. Jack is a year younger than me and when I was 16 and he 15, we made a pact to return to Watkins Bay and live there forever.
Funny how life can be so unexpecting and things don't always go to plan. After graduation I headed off to the city to study Marine Biology with the promise of Jack following me the next year, sadly Jack didn't get to, he died 6 Months later, Thanks to the drunk driver who wanted to go joy riding one Friday night after partying too hard.
I was devastated, I felt like a part me died along with Jack that night. It took me along time to accept he wasn't coming back. I decided to study hard and stick to our pact of returning to Watkins Bay after Uni.
However as usual life didn't go to plan!
No instead I graduated with my Bachelor Degree and was offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to hit the waters for a 12month scientific research trip, Tracking and monitoring Mako Sharks. Only further fuelling my fascination, my return to Watkins Bay could wait a little longer.
My first day aboard the ship that would be home for the next 12 months was surreal and very emotional. I realised I'm doing this alone without Jack, but no matter how many tears I shed, he will always be proud of me, and that is what gets me through the year, Jack and all the excitement and adrenaline of getting up close to these Beautiful Creatures.
However we have been to places where there is so much pollution in the water it's next to impossible to see the true beauty of the waters.
It angers me that humans can be so careless with their rubbish, plastic bags and takeaway containers, not to mention drink cans and goodness knows what else!
I decide to do something about it and immediately apply for funding and grants to help clean up the ocean and beaches. I call it 'The Jack Winston Project'.
Returning to my home on Watkins Bay is the perfect opportunity to open a base for my project, I have so much support and encouragement.
I know getting my message out there isn't something that will happen overnight but one day at a time and I hope to hear and see others following in my footsteps and doing their part to keep our oceans clean.