three

"Have you studied chapter fourteen?" Bangbang asks as he follows Yanyu home.

Yanyu nods, searching for something in her bag, "Yes. Up to chapter sixteen. I've read the whole thing over and over again."

"Good. I think you're ready. The exam's tomorrow, right?"

Yanyu nods again and without looking in front, she bumped into someone.

"I'm sorry," Yanyu apologizes as she kneels down picking up the things she dropped.

"Yanyu, it's okay," A voice said which made her heart drop.

She looked up, not believing if it was real or not, "K-kaihao..."

Kaihao smiled at her and Bangbang who had his mouth hung open, "Why are you out so late?"

Yanyu bit her lip, trying to stop the tears from falling. She hadn't seen Kaihao in almost a year and here he is. Standing like nothing happened.

"Yanyu, let's go home," Bangbang whispers, picking up the other stuff Yanyu dropped on the ground.

"Actually, Bangbang, I need to talk to Yanyu," Kaihao interjects, looking at Yanyu. "If that's okay."

Bangbang looked at Yanyu then at Kaihao, then back at Yanyu again, "I don't think that's a good -"

"It's okay Bang," Yanyu mutters, looking up at Kaihao again. "You can go home first."

Bangbang was disappointed but not surprised. He knew this day would come that Yanyu would pick Kaihao over him. He saw this coming but he couldn't believe it would be happening so soon.

"Okay, don't stay up too late. You have an exam tomorrow," Bangbang reminds handing some of Yanyu's stuff back. He bids goodbye to her, not even looking at Kaihao and then left.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

"How are you, Yanyu? How's school going?" Kaihao asked as they sat on the bench in the park. They used to hang out in this very same spot.

"What do you want Kaihao?" Yanyu asked, controlling her emotions. "You came back here and ask me how I am. What do you think?"

"Yanyu, if you're still mad about what happened - that's fine with me," Kaihao admits, looking at her. "Just don't take it out on the crew. They miss hanging out with you."

Yanyu fiddled with her fingers, "I told them I'm busy,"

"Yeah, but you've been saying that for the past year," Kaihao pointed out. He might not have been with them, but he was still getting updates.

"I came to Mingzhu's birthday. And I visit the others as well,"

"You visit them when they decide to hang out at the cafe you work at," The boy says, leaning his back on the bench. "That's different."

"Can I go now? I have an exam coming up," Yanyu says, standing up and picking her bag. "Goodbye, Kaihao."

Yanyu turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Kaihao standing under the light of the moon.

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

"Uh, what are you doing?" Shuzhen asked as she found Peiyao stretching at their yard the next morning.

"I'm exercising," Peiyao answered as he sat on the ground and did some curl ups.

"Why?"

"Yilong-ge says its good for the mind. Plus it helps when you're dealing with some problems."

Shuzhen crossed her arms, "What kind of problems?"

"You don't need to know,"

"Of course I do. You're at my house. So you better tell or I'm kicking you out,"

Peiyao looked around his surroundings and looked at Shuzhen, "I'm already out."

Shuzhen bit her lip, trying not to scream at the boy. "Look, Peiyao. If you're bored, go bother someone else."

"I tried that but Mingzhu kicked me out of her apartment."

"Then go play with Zuo Ye or Yankai,"

Peiyao frowned, "Don't you miss Yanyu?"

Shuzhen sighed and sat on the steps of her house, "Is this about Kaihao?"

"Maybe," Peiyao answered, sitting beside her.

"You don't need to worry, okay? We'll fix this."

"What about Bangbang? If you help Kaihao and Yanyu, what happens to him?"

Shuzhen showed him a soft smile, "You're really worried, aren't you?"

Peiyao suddenly realized how deep the conversation is going so he stood up, hiding his flustered face. He started to do some push-ups which made Shuzhen confused.

"Uuhh...?"

"Ssh," Peiyao utters, "I'm going to exercise some more."

.·:*¨¨*:·. .·:*¨¨*:·.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

just a heads up, but lifen may or may not appear in this book ;;;